Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Not the version that I tried on my Zaurus.

I've never seen this. Every version that I tried worked like it was on a desktop system - and had all the screen real estate of a desktop system.
And no syncing. Although this was less a problem back in the days when you had a dedicated organizer.

BTW, to all participants of this thread please also see Task:PIM on Maemo wiki. This is about defining appropriate PIM functionality on the tablet. IMO people with good past experiences able to define the good (and bad) aspects of past PIM products are valuable assets in this process.

Hi,

I think I might be hijacking this thread. I've been carring both a Palm and N800. My Palm has finally died and I need a PIM. I currently use Outlook and it looks like nothing will sync Outlook to the N800.

I'm after an alternative solution now, is there a Lynx equivalent to Outlook which I can run on Windows XP that uses opensync or some other sync software to sync with the N800. I would also need to import my information from Outlook into this new software.

I know I could go the Google route, however I don't always have access to the internet and I prefer to keep my information locally.

Thanks

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
GTD Tiddly Wiki?

ok, no alarms.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Any PalmOS Treo and an N8x0 make a great pair.
Datebook in hand and tethering for the bigger screen.
Acknowledge that nothing yet does it all and carry on.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
Acknowledge that nothing yet does it all and carry on.
Indeed.

It makes you think when you notice that the PalmOS' PIM suite has virtually no features -- but those it has at least work.
Right now I've been battling with Evolution/GPE sync, since Evo seems to believe all of my GPE appointments are in UTC and as such likes to move them around the day (no matter whatever I put in the "time zone" field, it either goes back to UTC or puts itself in $RANDOM_TIME_ZONE).
I've already shut down alarms -- it was waking me up every other hour. Go figure.. I don't even use different timezones!

One of my long-term plans is to develop yet another Maemo PIM suite. My ideal is that the _same_ application should run both on the tablet and on the desktop, and they have to sync seamlessly -- no outlook, no evo, no mismatched fields, no different recurring appointment algorithm, etc. With the same set of features the Palm(One) PIM suite has (and maybe some Clie Organizer-like sketching). In C (fast startup).
Unfortunately, my to-do list is way too long.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
One of my long-term plans is to develop yet another Maemo PIM suite.
One of the things that makes Datebook on the Palm work
is that Palm is a realtime OS. It doesn't multitask.
It always knows what the current state of everything is.
When you open the calender, it knows you want to look at now, today.

Maemo's not. If your PIM's not running, you get no alarms.
If your PIM is running, it's going to show you the last time you looked at it.
It won't wake up if it's off. Palms don't have an off.
Nokia has said all along that the NITs are not PDAs. They're right.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
This is nothing to do with Maemo, but with the lack of integration and polish on the PIM apps available.

Maemo has full support for alarms going off when the app which set them is not running, or the tablet as a whole is switched off. If your favourite app doesn't use the alarm API that's not a fault of the OS - or its multitasking nature.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
One of the things that makes Datebook on the Palm work
is that Palm is a realtime OS. It doesn't multitask.
That's only partly true. It uses a realtime kernel, but hardly a realtime OS (none of the applications being ready for that).
It uses a multitasking kernel, but it's hardly a multitasking OS (no memory protection at all between tasks, "create_thread"-like API reserved to system applications)

It always knows what the current state of everything is.
When you open the calender, it knows you want to look at now, today.
Yes, that's exactly the kind of feature I would be aiming for.

Maemo's not. If your PIM's not running, you get no alarms. It won't wake up if it's off. Palms don't have an off.
Tell that to my tablet. He seems to enjoy waking me up way too early

This is the second time I read that. Well, I don't think this is a problem with the NIT itself, but rather available software.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
installing gpesummary, and having it displayed on the tabest "desktop" should take care of that...

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
My personal opinion - and that shared (AFAICT) by anyone who ever used it - EPOC R5, as seen in the Psion Revo, Series 5(mx), Series 7 and netBook:

Revo screenshots (lower res than on the other devices):

netBook (a bit bigger ;-)):
I agree. This was the all time champion. If this was ported to maemo I could die happy.