Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
I hope it means something like September, which would still be kind of Summer AND 2nd half of the year AND early enough to gain some attention untill Christmas Market, which starts in November...
Yeah if it really means both markets by Oct. at the latest, then it's not that bad after all, I always felt June/July was a bit too ambitious/unrealistic anyway.
Availability in Oct. means they'll have their phone out at more-or-less the same time as Canonical*, & Canonical's 1st device is a low-end one, so they won't be competing directly.
Plus they'll be able to recoup some momentum they lost to Ubuntu**, thanks to their device being more appealing than Canonical's low-end affair...

*assuming Canonical's recent claims aren't a bit overly ambitious, which I suspect are
**because of it's ability to leverage existing high-end Android devices

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-27 at 15:55.

Originally Posted by waldo View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVQVtiL1os

another new video
Best video so far.
They have certainly done some visible work and it does feel more of a proper OS now than a tech demo it was on the first reveal.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-04-17 at 22:49.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
Again just the media player and gallery. Btw was that the opera icon when he was showing the app grid? When are they gonna show us some of that?

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
Again just the media player and gallery. Btw was that the opera icon when he was showing the app grid? When are they gonna show us some of that?
yeah it was opera, opera is also moving to webkit browser that looks interesting

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/40...nds-on-preview

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/27/40...-800-supremacy

This will probably come in devices when jolla finally is ready to release.

How low speed can jolla go and still call it premium. They cant ignore hw completly even if sailfish running on low end.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RVQVtiL1os

another new video
Interviewer: "do you expect to have some android apps ported at launch?"

Stefano: "there is no need to port anything, they run unmodified."

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

Running is one thing, usability is another.
That would be nice. But from now on its seeing before believing when it comes to troll... Sorry, joll

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Yep that was always Myriad's whole approach with Alien Dalvik, very minimal amount needed to be done...
I can't recall the detail, but I vaguely recall there was even tools provided (so long as the OS/device OEM was willing to work with them) to make the app look almost completely native.
That was one of the things that was originally being touted for Harmattan + AD....

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Hate to say it, but each month that Jolla delay, they are falling further and further behind the competition. Windows Phone has been out 2.5 years now and despite Microsoft throwing oceans of money at the platform, it's still miles behind catching up with Android and Ios. If Jolla are talking about a Christmas release, then you're looking at two years at very least before you have an eco-system that is mature enough for the average user, and that's assuming that Jolla actually is supported by devs. Are people going to wait until 2016 to have a comparable phone to the current market leaders? Also, the mobile market could be in a completely different place to where Jolla are in that time period.
O stop this ridicilous discussions about "ecosystem"

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti.../?fp=4&fpid=18
Everything in that interview screams out that it's going to have relatively mediocre specs, yet they're still going to target it as "high-end", but with "mid-tier" pricing.
It better damn well be mid-tier pricing if the hw (overall) is mid-tier*, it also gels with stuff I've researched previously, & subsequently surmised/posted about.

*having top-notch build_quality/enclosure only doesn't count as having top-notch hw nowadays, you need that "+" top-notch SoC/Display etc, else you're mid-tier.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-02-28 at 04:14. Reason: typo

Tags
dave ate sail, fishing jolla, n9 sailfish, nokia n950, sailfish, sailfish os, sailfish video, where?