Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Ok so I conclude stripping down harmattan is not an option in this case...
The N9 has 1GB of RAM - the latest Nokia Asha 310 has 64MB of RAM. It's probably quicker for Nokia to build or buy a new OS rather than try to refit Harmattan.

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
The N9 has 1GB of RAM - the latest Nokia Asha 310 has 64MB of RAM. It's probably quicker for Nokia to build or buy a new OS rather than try to refit Harmattan.
Exactly. I have no idea why people say that Harmattan is so lean and efficient, when in fact it would be abysmal without at least 512MB RAM.

If you think Harmattan is lean then why do threads like this exist?

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Exactly. I have no idea why people say that Harmattan is so lean and efficient, when in fact it would be abysmal without at least 512MB RAM.

If you think Harmattan is lean then why do threads like this exist?
don't forget that harmattan runs on ancient cpu and gpu.
the gpu is even worse than first gen S^3 devices. Iphone 3gs had the N9
gpu (iirc)

cpu was good for early 2010. for devices like SE X10i or SGS1.

so yes, meego harmattan is pretty "light" imho

why would we expect to have multitasking on budget low end devices, the iphone and windows phone don't have it, and androids is severely lacking. If asha or what ever it moves to gets something like the iphone has with fast app switching would probally be the best to be hoped for. In general multitasking will be one of the huge sacrifices on the cheap asha line

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
don't forget that harmattan runs on ancient cpu and gpu.
the gpu is even worse than first gen S^3 devices. Iphone 3gs had the N9
gpu (iirc)
Comparing apples and oranges here. The first generation of S^3 devices only had a crippling amount of 32 MB of video ram. So while it is faster, it is crippled in ways that the GPU on the N9 isn't.

The current Asha line has terrible performance, the Asha 311 has only 128 MB RAM, the 310 even less. Faster hardware is actually very cheap nowadays, optimizing an OS for such low specs is really expensive (because it is hard).
I very much doubt that the next "budget" smart feature-phones will have anything less than 256 MB ram.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Hey guys tha ashas can multitask if u tweak them a bit it can run multiple java apps at a time i am using the feature from ages its damm stable. . So why dosent nokia makes it official???

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Comparing apples and oranges here. The first generation of S^3 devices only had a crippling amount of 32 MB of video ram. So while it is faster, it is crippled in ways that the GPU on the N9 isn't.

The current Asha line has terrible performance, the Asha 311 has only 128 MB RAM, the 310 even less. Faster hardware is actually very cheap nowadays, optimizing an OS for such low specs is really expensive (because it is hard).
I very much doubt that the next "budget" smart feature-phones will have anything less than 256 MB ram.
I would imagine 256mb, but certainly not more than 512mb. Lumia 520 got 512MB, 800x480 screen, dual core 1GHz and it costs 139 before taxes.

When you start going below 100 euros, like these Asha phones, it does get tricky.

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
They cud have done better by using symbian in asha line up
instead of series 40 to keep symbian alive.adding swipe ui ...common guys
if this was the plan then y dont u relaunch nokia n9.

Less ram, no multitasking and then
and nokia is calling them smartfones. pathetic

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
They cud have done better by using symbian in asha line up
instead of series 40 to keep symbian alive.adding swipe ui ...common guys
if this was the plan then y dont u relaunch nokia n9.

Less ram, no multitasking and then
and nokia is calling them smartfones. pathetic
if world was just that easy "just add swipe UI". You would not "just add" anything to that cluster **** that the OS had morphed to over the years. Symbian was long dead and Nokia had poured enough of money at it.
Remember that we are talking exclusively super cheap phones here at 40 euros to something like 130 euros.