Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
You heavily used any of their wearables?^

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Jalyst. Are you transformed into a tizenfanboy. If so I support you. As for ubuntu having its own sub? Basically it wasn't as easy to get administration to add it but it was discussed in a thread long ago. Jolla sub was easy. Ubuntu sub was haRd well...Tizen was let say it...not popular.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Err no, I'm not a fanboy for any platform, I just like trying new stuff...
There should be a sub. under Alternatives for Tizen & FFOS, they've been out there with actual devices for much longer than UT.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-10-01 at 06:28.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Err no, I'm not a fanboy for any platform, I just like trying new stuff...
There should be a sub. under Alternatives for Tizen & FFOS, they've been out there with actual devices for much longer than UT.
But ut is used on lots of computers

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

U is, not UT...
And it's not exactly "lots", maybe more than FFOS & Tizen combined (for now) though.
Anyway we digress...

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-10-01 at 06:48.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I don't care about it from an engineering perspective, or even a FOSS/hack-ability perspective.
I just care about it purely from an UX perspective...
It's to be used primarily as my activity/health/sleep-tracker, with some mild smart-watch duties.
I mostly can't help then, because the majority of these features are disabled when I pair it with my home-grown "manager" program.

That said, the pulse meter does work, albeit it is mostly useless. On the first day I say I had >100bpm while idle and ~60bpm after some serious stair climbing. Stopped using that feature after that I have never trusted optical heart beat monitors ever since my first experiences with "fitness" Casio wris****ches in the 90s.

Both the display and camera in Gear2 are surprisingly nice though. Almost visible in sunlight and camera takes better photos than all digital cameras I've ever owned until the N900 (not saying much I know, but it takes better photos than the the N8x0 webcam or those Apple 640x480 cameras ).

Tizen is technically interesting, but from a UI PoV, it is indistinguishable from Android. Even the task switcher view looks the same. I think that is actually Samsung's goal. On the Gear2 there's no back button; it's mapped to the "swipe from upper side" gesture. But it was the same on the Android-based Gear1. You're probably not going to note any difference.

In fact, if, as you suggested, you do not care about the OSS aspects or internals of it, get the Android Gear1, not the Gear2 Neo. Around the same price but comes with camera, larger possibility of getting Sailfish or AndroidWear on it, and a larger community of "app developers" in XDA. You do not even necessarily miss Tizen programs (if they ever appear *cough* HERE *cough*) because you can flash Tizen on it at any time (and rollback if necessary).

Last edited by javispedro; 2014-10-01 at 23:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Don't really care about camera, that's primarily why I'm not interested in the Gear 2, that's the only major difference between it & Gear 2 Neo.

Fair point about the Gear 1, I'll look more into the community around the Neo 1st though...

I don't want to be be buying the Gear 1 only to find:
(1) it has quite a few hw/feature deficits compared to the Neo
(2) the Neo is slowly but surely gaining the same sw hack-ability

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
You heavily used any of their wearables?^
[RANT]

No, not at all. I really don't like the direction that the industry is going in when it comes wearables. I already carry a smart phone around with me like the vast majority of smart watch users. Why on earth would I want to carry another device with a full CPU which runs an operating system that guzzles yet another battery. Wearables should make your life easier, not complicate it by needing to charge another device daily. Then there's vendor lock-in which smart watch manufacturers seem to be pushing towards. Not to mention that this design only drives up the price.

I already own a MetaWatch which I prefer to call a "dumb watch" as it's more akin to a dumb terminal. The smart phone does all the driving, communicates with the MetaWatch via Bluetooth and then the watch only needs to render information on the display. I just wish there would be more focus on dumb watches.

[/RANT]

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
[RANT]I already own a MetaWatch which I prefer to call a "dumb watch" as it's more akin to a dumb terminal. The smart phone does all the driving, communicates with the MetaWatch via Bluetooth and then the watch only needs to render information on the display. I just wish there would be more focus on dumb watches.[/RANT]
But that's the way Android Wear seems to be (mostly) going...
Tizen seems to be a bit more "capable", but has it's trade-offs etc. too ofc.
I see OpenWebOS may be getting it's 1st consumer/mass-market device via wearables soon.
There's already WebOS "Smart TV's" but who's counting that

Link: LG is working on a WebOS Smart-watch
This TMO filter for "tw4t" is ridiculous, we can't even bypass it by embedding the offending link!
Use your intelligence to work out how to get to the above link please folks.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-11-04 at 08:31. Reason: link added

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Low-end Tizen phone from Samsung spotted while undergoing certification for FCC:

http://mysamsungphones.com/dual-sim-...ed-by-the-fcc/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:

Tags
clunky, death rules, mike_tizen, titzen, tizen == kebab, tizen rules, tizen_day, tjamtjung, yet still sucks, zen and tizen