[Delayed a few days do to unforeseen circumstances; also I almost lost this post for the second time -_-]
EDIT: Fixed the broken links

Mwahahaha

...Warwallking.

Portable/mobile external usb wifi antenna setup!

OR

"how-to: turn your pocket-size device into an unpocketable, UMPC-sized monstrosity"

Instead of mint tins - with a loose Tux connection (I'm looking at you ThoughtFix), I'm going the plastic box route for my project boxes (got something else in-progress). Former so-called supplement container I had lying around.

+

RTL8187 chipset usb wifi antenna (see: wiki) 500mW and removable RP-SMA antenna - $40 for Alfa; $25 for my knock-off.

+

USB OTG cable (or equivalent) $8 ebay

+

Brando "Vista" (brand on packaging) usb powered hub. Powered by built-in y-cable. 3 full-size female usb "A" ports and 1 male 5pin miniusb plug. Link here. Similar item. $15 from Brando. $25 in-store Radioshack.
Update: dealextreme has it now: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13526 ($5.31 + free shipping, can't beat that)

+

Lenmar PowerPort Mini 5V lithium battery ($16 - $6 rebate = $10AR)

(AA packs are insufficient - 4 alkaline in series is 6V too much, 4 NiMH are 4.8V; not to mention bulky)

As it just so happens this "Nutrilite Double X" lid fits the N810 quite perfectly. No modification needed. I just slip the N810 over - with the stand flipped out 90° - like a dock. Then flip the stand one click upwards to lock-in-place.

Used some velcro to make everything removable (and future-proof)

and reverse

Great for when the internal antenna "doesn't reach" (while my laptop's can, and this is 500mW is more powerful than even that)

also happens to support packet injection (see above-mentioned wiki link)

----------------------

BTW for those not in the know, the N810 (as well as N800, Nokia 770 and probably the N900) does not support USB host mode ("computer") officially. The microusb port is used to treat the N8X0 as a glorified usb thumbdrive as well as of course for flashing firmware (like a digital camera ) So of course it doesn't output a full 5V to devices. Not a big deal for keyboard and thumbdrives but is for USB bus-powered devices like external wifi dongles, harddrives, etc. So "power-injection" is required like ye old days of USB. Thus some solution that equates to a y-cable. Of course that's not very portable and convenient so solutions like this come up.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2010-10-01 at 05:56. Reason: missed this thread when I took down my server, woops

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Skynet?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I am truly impressed. Bravo... bravo indeed.

More like what John Connor should have used in Terminator 4, instead of a Sony Vaio UX.

Tags
dock, mods, power, warwalking, wifi