Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Micha1982 View Post
...and still no developer added the existing fix
Yeah, it looks like the large team of highly paid developers have overlooked your previous request. Just ramp up your attitude and I am sure everyone will drop whatever they are doing and hurry up to attend to your needs.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
please don't call Nokia n900 an unfriendly piece of crap, its just the lack of apps and development we are facing but look at the brighter side , we have a secure phone with a beautiful OS which is superior to other OSes in terms of usability.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
look at the brighter side , we have a secure phone with a beautiful OS which is superior to other OSes in terms of usability.
Secure phone?! Large portions of the N900 software stack have not received security updates for years now.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CRCulver For This Useful Post:
Doesnt the lack of any modern app/browser make it a useless mobile automatically?

OmWeather also does not work anymore correct since yesterday - today we have thursday, it says we have friday......

Sorry for my rant but I am only a user who wants a working phone, and no construction-site for freaks only. I am not at home atm and I just do not want to read hours here to get some things to work which are essentially for most mobiles today.

But it seems there is no other solution to buy a better phone as nothing happens here anymore....noone needs this fu thumb-crap for example, what people need are correct working apps.Sorry for that, but thats how it is. I know what happened to Nokia and appreciate what some people do here - anyway, its getting more and more useless.

I still like my N900 a bit but I have no time and fun to follow every thread here every day just to possibly get the easiest things to work.

Last edited by Micha1982; 2016-09-15 at 00:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Micha1982 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
I can only say its the signs of aging , but its good to know people still use the beast. may be its the beginning of the end for maemo unless we totally reverse engineer it and make it fully open source .

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
There we go again. Making Maemo fully open-source is the magic bullet that will solve all our problems plus some, including the refugee crisis.

It will not! Open-sourcing is only the first step. We will still need someone to spend time actively developing and updating the code. However open it is, the manpower - or the lack thereof - is hardly going to change.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
However open it is, the manpower - or the lack thereof - is hardly going to change.
Let's be frank. It's only going to be worse. Maemo loses active developers. And will vegetate the way it is.

The browser is terribly outdated, barely usable. The software stack is so outdated, that meh. The camera is inferior to the today's standards. But it's the unusable browsing experience that forced me to get some Android crap. [I mean that Android is crap. But it has one advantage: the browser works!]

<ot>just to find out that sfos doesn't support aarch64 atm. I'm going to ask Jolla at the community meeting. Look at tjc if you're interested</ot>

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I empathise, having moved to Ubuntu Touch mostly due to the browser woes. (And yes, browser aside, UT does not come close to the n900 in terms of functionality.)

I doubt there ever will be a large incentive for developers to update Maemo Fremantle, as the neo900 - the only possible future hardware platform - in my view simply does not offer enough of a step- up from the n900 to make it widely attractive. That's if the neo900 appears at all. And then a dev has to take on the task of updating or replacing microb. Big ask, IMO.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
I am browsing via VNC. The browser runs on my internet debian server PC. It works much better then native N900 browsers. IMO it's not possible to have good browser on 256MB of RAM. So some internet server that does the rendering is only option. It shouldnt be too hard to implement this.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psonek For This Useful Post:
There is always a better phone or new flashy app. I bought an Android tablet three years ago and a Mi band one year ago thinking it wouldn't be a problem to synchronize it with my 'still pretty recent' tablet. Wrong. It couldn't be used due to the older Android version and even the hardware was too old because of the need to synchronize with bluetooth 4.0. Not possible to install Cyanogen Mod on the tablet - so basically two years after buying it it was already obsolete.

That is our current reality. I have decided to quit this race that is only beneficial for the balance sheet of large companies.

There are still people that are using their C64s, Atari's and Amiga's in 2016. I think they are having more fun than folks buying the latest desktops or tablets.
Are they complaining that they can't browse with their computer?

Just re-evaluate what you really need on your phone and what you can do on your tablet - desktop. I consider tinkering with my N900 a DIY hobby, the N900 is not just a phone.
I know some folks on this forum don't want to hear that, they just want a fix for their problems. Wishing, asking or begging will not make anything happen though and it will certainly not make the hardware better.
There are only a few developers doing the important stuff. IMO the kernel should be the main priority but even more important is that these devs are doing the things they enjoy doing.

It is nice to have an updated Maemo / CSSU but with a solid kernel you can build anything on top of it (eg DebiaN900).
Thinking out loud: maybe even chroot into Maemo then if that is possible (easy Maemo )

I still hope to see someone posting a tutorial how to use telephony comfortable with native Debian (or any other distro). That seems to me the only way to make the N900 semi 'future-proof'

If that happens - I will be so glad that I still own 4 fully functional N900's

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, components, hildon, maemo 5, web browser