Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
----------nothing------

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-13 at 10:23.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
How do I work out what to uninstall? I know witter and FM radio are python (though I have the radio from extras, not testing).

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

I don't think you'd free up much just by disabling a repository...I can't imagine the little db files taking up that much space.
I've just disabled extras-testing and extras-devel and my used space changed from 81% to 76%. It's not so bad.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
How do I work out what to uninstall? I know witter and FM radio are python (though I have the radio from extras, not testing).
apt-get gave me a nice list and removed the apps for me automagically.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
2.2 Enable extras-testing and extras-devel from app manager and wait app manager to refresh.

if you do that you might end up with the non-optified python again, making the whole exercise pointless. I might be wrong though. Install, for example fm radio from extras first, to get python set up properly. then enable whatever and install the rest.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mece View Post
if you do that you might end up with the non-optified python again, making the whole exercise pointless. I might be wrong though. Install, for example fm radio from extras first, to get python set up properly. then enable whatever and install the rest.
No, you should be okay. The new python optification package would look to be creating new python directories in /opt, then bind mounting them into /usr. This means you need to remove all python apps before hand (which this process does, but which is why python isn't there as a normal update), but anything installed afterwards will install into /opt without any changes having to be made.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
No, you should be okay. The new python optification package would look to be creating new python directories in /opt, then bind mounting them into /usr. This means you need to remove all python apps before hand (which this process does, but which is why python isn't there as a normal update), but anything installed afterwards will install into /opt without any changes having to be made.
I was thinking of this scenario:
you enable devel (after removing python) and install witter from there, and in the process python is also installed, but from devel and not from extras, and then you end up with a non optified python again. (If devel python version is non optified. i actually don't know this)

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I was thinking of this scenario:
you enable devel (after removing python) and install witter from there, and in the process python is also installed, but from devel and not from extras, and then you end up with a non optified python again. (If devel python version is non optified. i actually don't know this)
No, the optified version has a higher version, so will always be picked in preference. In fact, there shouldn't even be a non-optified version of python in -devel or -testing now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
For those who have installed python apps from testing or devel. The python in extras is now optified, which gives you a nice 20 megs extra in rootfs.

I had to manually remove some stuff to get it updated.

Here's what I did:

This will most likely remove some programs. You will see a list of what will be removed and asked to verify. Please note that you might not have the same programs installed as I did. FM Radio, Quicknote and Witter are a couple of python apps that will be removed.

1. disable extras-testing and extras-devel from app manager, and close app manager.

2. in xterm as root:

apt-get remove python
apt-get remove python2.5
apt-get remove python-osso
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean

now you should have much more space.

3. Install FM Radio from extras. A new optified version of python will be installed.

4. Install whatever programs that were removed. They should now use the optified python libraries.

Check with df -h that you see the opt mounts for python added to the list.

Thank you very much for this guide - thought I'd post my results from running through it as it has turned out to be a really useful exercise.

I started with around 19mb free space on root.

I ran the commands and uninstalled everything (including several apps from extras-testing and devel). With those 2 repos still disabled, I had 59.7m free.

I then enabled extras-testing and devel. This took me down to 45.1m.

I ran 11 updates from all repos (no python apps). Was now down to 44.9m.

I reinstalled wiicontrol and mediabox (with 2 new plugins) from extras-devel - both python. Down to 44.4m.

I then disabled the two repos again. Back to 58.5m.

So it appears that just enabling the two "cautionary" repos does reduce space on root by about 10 meg. The new python is certainly being applied to the reinstalled devel apps which is great. I'd imagine that 44.4m itself is enough, but by keeping those repos disable unless I'm dipping, I've practically gained 30meg! So thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to stayloa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
For those who have installed python apps from testing or devel. The python in extras is now optified, which gives you a nice 20 megs extra in rootfs.

I had to manually remove some stuff to get it updated.

Here's what I did:

This will most likely remove some programs. You will see a list of what will be removed and asked to verify. Please note that you might not have the same programs installed as I did. FM Radio, Quicknote and Witter are a couple of python apps that will be removed.

1. disable extras-testing and extras-devel from app manager, and close app manager.

2. in xterm as root:

apt-get remove python
apt-get remove python2.5
apt-get remove python-osso
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean

now you should have much more space.

3. Install FM Radio from extras. A new optified version of python will be installed.

4. Install whatever programs that were removed. They should now use the optified python libraries.

Check with df -h that you see the opt mounts for python added to the list.
thanks very much for this tip, worked a treat i had decent amount of space already but you can never have too much

Tags
fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, opt, optification, optify, root space, rootfs