Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Let's talk Olympic Games...will begin very very very soon.

http://www.volleycountry.com/images/...volleyball.jpg

Let's hope for many "steve bradbury winners". The worst winner ever and at the same time the best winner of all times

Bradbury won his heat convincingly in the 1,000 m, posting a time of 1 m 30.956 s. However, it appeared that his run would end when the draw for the quarter-finals was made; Bradbury was allocated to the same race as Apolo Anton Ohno (the favourite from the host nation) and Marc Gagnon of Canada (the defending World Champion), and only the top two finishers from each race would proceed to the semifinals. Bradbury finished third in his race and thought himself to be eliminated; however, Gagnon was disqualified for obstructing another racer, thus allowing the Australian to advance to the semi-finals.

After consulting the national coach Ann Zhang, Bradbury's strategy from the semi-final onwards was to cruise behind his opponents and hope that they crashed, as he realised that he was slower and could not match their raw pace. His reasoning was that risk-taking by the favourites could cause a collision due to a racing incident, and if two skaters (or more) fell, the remaining three would all get medals, and that as he was slower than his opponents, trying to challenge them directly would only increase his chance of falling. Bradbury said that he was satisfied with his result, and felt that as the second oldest competitor in the entire field, he was not able to match his opponents in four races on the same night.

In his semi-final race, Bradbury was in last place, well off the pace of the medal favourites. However, three of the other competitors in the semi-final—defending champion Kim Dong-Sung of South Korea, multiple Olympic medallist Li Jiajun of China and Mathieu Turcotte of Canada—crashed, paving the way for the Australian to take second place and thus allowing him through to the final.

Bradbury was again well off the pace in the final, and all four of Bradbury's competitors (Ohno, Ahn Hyun-Soo, Li and Turcotte) crashed out at the final corner while jostling for the gold medal. This allowed the Australian, who was around 15 m behind with only 50 m to go, to avoid the pile-up and take the victory.Bradbury raised his arms aloft in complete disbelief and amazement at the unlikely circumstances of his victory. A shocked Bradbury became the first person from any southern hemisphere country to win a Winter Olympic event. After a period of delay, the judges upheld the result and did not order a re-race, confirming Bradbury's victory.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-07-27 at 18:44.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So no one at wembley here i guess

Whoohohoooo. Goooooooooooooooold!

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
tl;dr
USA USA USA USA

Whoever wins, we lose

I'm flattered

Did you know that just in this moment a sack of rice fell over in China?

Anyone have any photos from the olympics?

Really low interest in the olymics here. I guess you are too geeky

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
phones on pills and users on pills, no sport here