Is there any mobile OS that is currently being developed and available on a device that I can buy today in the U.S. (from a carrier) that allows one to easily choose between closing a running application or minimizing it? I don't want the OS to decide for me which action to take.

The Following User Says Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Helsinki
Is there with a Symbian kind like that functionality? ...If from menu you can use to close the running app. And pushing another button the program keeps on going in the background? Keep button pressed several seconds and it will show every running programs.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
symbian sounds like the only os from a carrier right now that'll works in that manner, tmobile offers the nokia c7 as the astound

Thanks. I didn't realize you could get a Symbian phone in the U.S. I don't recall seeing one for a number of years now. Not exactly what I was hoping for, since development of Symbian will be coming to an end soon enough, but worth checking out.

How about on tablets? Anything there that would do the same thing? I'm looking for something to eventually replace my N800, but that has mobile internet and better PIM functionality.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by dylanemcgregor View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize you could get a Symbian phone in the U.S. I don't recall seeing one for a number of years now. Not exactly what I was hoping for, since development of Symbian will be coming to an end soon enough, but worth checking out.

How about on tablets? Anything there that would do the same thing? I'm looking for something to eventually replace my N800, but that has mobile internet and better PIM functionality.
Both n900 and n9 but not available on American market today.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Windows mobile 6.5, but I'm not sure you can still buy one

Am I the only one that feels like we seem to be going backwards in terms of (at least certain types of) functionality? Older mobile OSes could do proper multitasking, had better app switching paradigms, had visible file systems, etc... It seems that we're taking out features and calling it an improvement. Using mobile devices today I feel like I'm stuck in a world that didn't move past Windows 3.1...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Am I the only one that feels like we seem to be going backwards in terms of (at least certain types of) functionality? Older mobile OSes could do proper multitasking, had better app switching paradigms, had visible file systems, etc... It seems that we're taking out features and calling it an improvement. Using mobile devices today I feel like I'm stuck in a world that didn't move past Windows 3.1...
Yes, indeed...
It's the current trend... to make foolish systems for... "wider"... range of public...
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strange1712 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
My biggest gripe with "modern OSes" is the dumbing down of the "media browsing" process. Eg:

1) N900, the default tracker settings index everything so you have crap like ringtones appearing in the video player and album art in the photo viewer.

2) Symbian, trying to select a ringtone from amongst a list 100's or 1000's of mp3s is an unpleasant experience

And you know what makes it worse? Both the N900 and Symbian phones auto create a set of default directories which includes things thing "videos", "music", "images" etc. I would expect the programs to look only in those directories (by default, with option to browse elsewhere), but no they still trawl through your whole filesystem and present a gigantic unwieldy list for you to crawl through.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Oses are following so called simplicity as of ios.