Active Topics

Hi,
I just got my N9 and so far I think it's great. I have a few questions about the camera.

a) Is there a way to disable the red camera light and fake shutter sound on the N9? For the shutter sound I know I can probably zero out the sound file. I don't know about how to turn off the red light though.

--- the rest are just thoughts regarding camera behavior ----

b) What's up with Focus? I don't know if this is what is happening but it seems like the N9 camera is using Continuous AF(C-AF). Last night I was testing in relatively low light and the camera would not get focus but after a while without touching any button you would see focus go in and out...and sometimes (rarely) it would get the right focus other times (most of the time) it would not get AF and just give up (rarely would it cycle through the whole AF range.

This may be a possible consequence of not having a dedicated camera button (where one can do half-press) and the developer trying to minimize hunting (at the expense of actually getting focus). The more I think about it I think the face detection is the big issue but even with face detection turned off I the same behavior.

While I do not like the C-AF on all the time, I thin the overall experience can be improved if the 4 corners of the AF point selector had different icons...

Corner 1) An icon to force AF detection which would cycle through the full AF range if the blue AF lock is not detected and would continue to attempt to try to achieve lock as long as that is being depressed. I like not covering with my finger what I am trying to focus on.
Corner 2) AF lock. Sometimes the camera gets lock and after a few seconds for reasons I don't understand (Face Detection?) tries to AF again and then ends up with no lock and just stops there. If I get AF (in low light situations) I want it to stop trying to get AF if I have what I am looking for
Corner 3) MF. A slider pops up (with distance meter) to manually choose focus.
Corner 4) I can't think of anything else I'd like to do other than maybe changing AF modes (switch to last AF mode). I don't want to cycle through landscape / portrait and etc but I'd like to switch between normal AF and Macro... Maybe someone uses portrait a lot so they can switch back and forth between them....
Corner 4.1) As an alternative, loop on / off. It would be nice to turn on a loop view (camera would intelligently pop up a loop somewhere, 2x or 1:1. This would be useful for AF and MF, even FD. IF the loops is covering something I want to see I'd just move it somewhere else.

b.1) Another alternative is to add C-AF and S-AF (single Autofocus) in the menus. In S-AF mode the user would allow AF movement a: When touching inside the box or b) covering the proximity sensor. I still want MF and maybe the loop view corner options.

c) What's with the settings not saving? When I change modes macro / night / regular AF... I need to reselect my flash / face detection modes. This is really annoying.

d) Does the N9 really need a separate settings screen. Wouldn't overlays work just as effectively? This is not that important other than I don't like missing the action. Maybe more important for video.

Thanks for reading. If you can help with the red light I'd appreciate it. Thx.