Active Topics

Hello,
I just installed CSSU Stable and now I can't activate/add any repositories. Is that normal behavior? I want to intall Open Mediaplayer from devel, but neither HAM/fapman catalogues nor the hildon-application-manager.list do have any affect on the available packages, even though I added the repos there. I couldn't find any on that in the wiki or the forum.
Also, I still have about 150 MB left for application memory, but I can't install anything anymore, getting the "not enough space in application install memory [...]" message. How can that be? I don't want to unnnecessarily move stuff from rootfs, so what exactly is the reason for this? By the way, is the application memory the same as rootfs?

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.
Have a nice weekend!

PS: This is my firt post here, but I did log in a few times before. There wasn't a time where I had a secure connection (aka SSL/TLS) so am I right assuming that just doesn't exit? If so, why is this?

Last edited by 009; 2014-07-20 at 20:37.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Sounds like a typical case of installing extras-devel software. Some of the stuff there is not optified and bound to leave you in a mess.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel
http://wiki.maemo.org/Opt_Problem
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...opt_and_MyDocs

rootfs is not the same as "application memory" however upto 0.3MB of rootfs is allowed to be used in stable packages.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing...klist#Blockers

First start by removing some packages you don't need hopefully this will free up the device enough to get HAM working again.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_up_rootfs_space

You can see your root space with
Code:
df -h /

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Hello sixwheeledbeast, thank you for your answers.
I did not install any software form devel so far, I flashed the device (COMBINED) before, so it was a complete new system. Everything installed is from extras. I installed the CSSU first, then all of the applications (using fapman) in one go. After this I now cannot install anything else.
I have 72.3 MB left on my rootfs, which is about 32 %.

Now, what I forgot to mention, I allready tried to free up some space, after the instrcutions in the wiki page you linked.
Code:
apt-get autoremove
gave me an error message (multiple times), which I stupidly did not save, but now it doesn't happen anymore.

Maybe some additional info that might be helpful:
I did tinker with the sources, I had a little script, which changed the content of
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list
depending on my location (I have an aptmirrored copy of the repos at home). However, it only changed the source for "extras" and "ovi".
Writing this, it just comes to my mind that this might be a permissions error(?) as the script was using sudo to write to the file. I can see my entries in the application managers, but I can't delete them. Says "unable to edit catalogue".
Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you

[edit:] spellchecking and specify

Last edited by 009; 2014-07-18 at 17:40.

I'll be damned!
I just tried it again to reproduce some error messages, and now it worked. I wrote an extras-devel entry in
Code:
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager
and fapman took it (via "import HAM [...]" ) and was able to use it. I just installed open-mediaplayer and no error message...
Now, can anyone explain this?
Totally not understanding this.
Anyways, thank you again sixwheeledbeast for your help, I really appreciate it.

I have to go now, but as soon as I am home I will check if I can install some updates, which did not work previously either and post the results.

I wish everyone a pleasant weekend, though I'm still totally confused over this.

PS: What about the https, is that just my fault, or is there really none? I created such a nice password...

[edit:] I still can't change the entries in the apllication-managers.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Both application manager use their own way to handle repository details, that do not comply to standard apt-get behaviour.
If you edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager manually, you should not start HAM, because it would overwrite the file by default. If you immediately import so-called 'HAM settings' in FAM, you are good to go because FAM will import actually from named file, not really from that dubious HAM XML-file /etc/hildon-application-manager/catalogues

Please try to copy and paste this
Code:
<catalogue>
  <uri>http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/</uri>
  <dist>fremantle</dist>
  <components>free non-free</components>
  <name>Maemo Extras-Devel</name>
 </catalogue>
into /etc/hildon-application-manager/catalogues .
Hope it helps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Both application manager use their own way to handle repository details, that do not comply to standard apt-get behaviour.
This seems to be the case on a lot of things... I am always tempted to assume most stuff works like I'm used to it frome Debian & Ubuntu.

If you edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager manually, you should not start HAM, because it would overwrite the file by default. If you immediately import so-called 'HAM settings' in FAM, you are good to go because FAM will import actually from named file, not really from that dubious HAM XML-file /etc/hildon-application-manager/catalogues
Thank you for making that clear (though I'm wondering why there is the need for such a behavior).

Out of curiosity, when I opened /etc/hildon-application-manager/catalogues, none of the existing entries used the tags you used in your template, but rather just a <file> and an <id> one. I think I found the referenced files in
Code:
/usr/share/hildon-application-manager/catalogues
Is there any difference/advantage for my case in putting the info there and then just point to it in the xml file?

Hope it helps.
It did a lot! Works fine now.
Thank you, I really appreciate your help.

[edit]: (How) can I mark this as solved?

Last edited by 009; 2014-07-20 at 13:39.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
[edit]: (How) can I mark this as solved?
Edit the first post and change the thread title. The most common way is adding "[Solved]" at the beginning.