Notices

Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
Yes, the only way I can get the internal N810 GPS to be recognised is to select the bluetooth GPS option,and leave its setting field blank. There are several of us having this problem: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=27105. If I remember right, v2.4.1 is about when this problem started for me.
Selecting "Bluetooth GPS" and leaving the field blank is correct behavior. In fact, from the perspective of the backing libgpsmgr API, confusingly, that is exactly what should be done for the N810. It's counter-intuitive, yeah, but it shouldn't keep you from being able to use the Maemo Mapper on your N810.

In fact, the built-in help file (also available online) mentions this explicitly:

Note: If you are using Maemo Mapper on a device with an internal GPS receiver, then you should probably use the "Bluetooth" receiver type and leave the field empty.
This really is a by-product of the API provided by libgpsmgr/libgpsbt, the GPS API provided by Maemo. For some strange reason, to use the internal GPS, Maemo Mapper literally has to provide an empty string to libgpsbt. I should probably change the UI to reflect that, or at least remove "/dev/pgps" as the default.

Thanks for the clarification and all your hard work gnuite!

Originally Posted by tso View Post
are you sure that route display is turned on?
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
A guess: check the "View | Show" menu and make sure that "Routes" and/or "Track" is checked.
Yup, that was it, thanks! Funny that it got turned off after the update... I always miss the obvious things

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, the "back" is by default set to toggle tracks, and i suspect that includes routes.

its easy to bump it and miss the message. and then the only real way to tell that its off is by there being no scale indicator at the bottom of the screen (next to the zoom number).

tobaisj, why not use a bluetooth to serial adapter? This add-on has a lot of potential. It would be nice if an alarm goes off when a message is sent directed towards you. It would also be nice to have the ability to send messages to other stations.
You are correct, it would be especially if it happened to work with my Kenwood D7g, however from what I have been able to find on TNC use with the NIT (which as I am sure you know, isnt exactly the most popular search on google) serial ports don't work reliably and one of the most relaible so far has been a particular bluetooth TNC (which I can not find my link to at the moment)

I was certainly looking into a bluetooth serial port before to use when I have to configure switches already deployed in closets around (that way I would have to actually stand in the hot closet I could sit outside it and work.) But I couldn't find anyone who said 'This BT serial port works without having to run a custom compiled kernel with all these mods inserted...' etc.. I would much rather keep my N810 as is and find another solution.

Course I also want a BT OBDII adapter to use with carman but between that, the serial port, and the TNC I would be looking at $1000.00 in bluetooth accessories..

I don't know where I will end up with this, probably start with the serial port and go from there, as it would be a multitasker.

-John

I've had good luck with a prolific USB to serial (wired) adapter, interfacing my NIT to a D7.

Its also worth noting, if someone has the skillset and time, a software TNC can be ported for NITs: http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem/ Of course a USB to serial adapter will still be needed for PTT.

I know I'm stepping in on this late, but has anyone come up with a tool to create the database for Maemo Mapper on another computer? I'd love to be able to build a map database on another machine and import it to my tablet. It'd make things a lot nicer.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
In this post, gnuite says that Winmapper should work now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpramlak For This Useful Post:
I've had good luck with a prolific USB to serial (wired) adapter, interfacing my NIT to a D7.

Its also worth noting, if someone has the skillset and time, a software TNC can be ported for NITs: http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/soundmodem/ Of course a USB to serial adapter will still be needed for PTT.
I have heard that, but for me bluetooth is the way to go. I want to mount the radio in the trunk and leave the NIT in its mount on my dash.

I will look into soundmodem and if its possible I will try to port it and see what happens...

-John

Originally Posted by jpramlak View Post
In this post, gnuite says that Winmapper should work now.
Well, I might have been unclear. I said that this new version should fix the cross-platform limitations of GDBM that were making it impossible to fix Winmapper. So, theoretically, Winmapper is fixable, but I don't know if anyone has fixed it (i.e. changed it to write to a database instead of a directory structure), yet.