Poll: N900 vs Milestone
Poll Options
N900 vs Milestone

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
johnkzin: You're just joking about the USB host/OTG thing, right? I didn't think it was possible to miss that long and ugly thread...
No, I missed that thread... I was looking at specs I've seen for the two phones.

Is the N900 not actually going to have host/OTG support?

That'd suck.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
When, exactly, did maemo.org Extras become a Nokia channel?
I didn't mean Nokia channel as in controlled and run by Nokia, but the channel for installing on Nokia Maemo device.

My point is why should it be only one stop shop for installing Maemo software. Dont get me wrong, I am totally cool with it and understand the practicalieties of havinga one-stop shop in many cases and Nokia hasn't MANDATED anything, but if and when it becomes a mandate to ONLY and ONLY go thru this one channel, then it bothers me, as it becomes a question of control then.

That is what I am trying to put across.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
@nilchak

i think you just misunderstood lemmyslenders original post.

he says the app manager won't install single .debs anymore, which IMO is a good thing. dependencies on rogue .debs can be a pain in the ***, and the users who can deal with that, are users who usually have no problem with dpkg in a terminal. well, they should be

adding third-party repos is no problem to end-users:
look at this video at around 0:40, you can clearly see the app manager catalogue management.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
You don't have any connection with the Android team? Are you no longer working for the same employer?

Oh gnuite... You've gone to the Dark Side!

(still waiting for maemo 5 mapper)
I guess you're right - that is a connection. But Google is a pretty large company, and I have no insight into the Android team's business.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I didn't mean Nokia channel as in controlled and run by Nokia, but the channel for installing on Nokia Maemo device.
So you propose that users use an Android channel for installing on a Nokia Maemo device? I'm not sure I get the issue, but it stinks of FUD.

My point is why should it be only one stop shop for installing Maemo software. Dont get me wrong, I am totally cool with it and understand the practicalieties of havinga one-stop shop in many cases and Nokia hasn't MANDATED anything, but if and when it becomes a mandate to ONLY and ONLY go thru this one channel, then it bothers me, as it becomes a question of control then.
Well, that'll never be the case since Nokia has official channels that are also involved. It's apt and an open source package manager they wont be mandating distribution channels anytime soon. . . . :\

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
No, I missed that thread... I was looking at specs I've seen for the two phones.

Is the N900 not actually going to have host/OTG support?

That'd suck.
Nevermind, saw the thread and read it.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So you propose that users use an Android channel for installing on a Nokia Maemo device? I'm not sure I get the issue, but it stinks of FUD
Where the hell did you come out with that one. I propose an Android channel to install Maemo software ? No sir, I never proposed that.

Maybe you are unclear because you are coming at me with an antogonistic attitude ? I am just trying to understand the issue here.

And your last para states exactly what I wanted to understand . so thanks. But no thanks for suggesting I am FUDding here .

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Where the hell did you come out with that one. I propose an Android channel to install Maemo software ? No sir, I never proposed that.
Extreme example was meant to encourage elaboration.

I am just trying to understand the issue here.
So am I!

And your last para states exactly what I wanted to understand . so thanks. But no thanks for suggesting I am FUDding here .
Well then, glad we cleared that up.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
. AFAIK there are four (or five depending on how you count) devices that run Maemo, all made by Nokia. Piracy just isn't as much of a concern (yet) for Nokia.
Well there is one more Maemo device in the Asian market made by Optima, but its not released yet.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/o...-video-priced/

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
My point was that an average Diablo user can use google, find a Maemo deb file, save it, click on it (in the built in file manager) and install it. It may refuse to install due to dependency issues, if it does an end user likely stops there. If it does install, the user gets the benifit of new software (or the problems). There are plenty of standalone debs out there.

Many new users will be coming from older Palm and windows backgrounds. They would expect to be able to click on a file and easily install it on their new "mobile computer w/ phone"

Fremantle has eliminated this possibility. Nokia has "closed" off or eliminated a source of software to the casual end user. This provides a better safer end user experience.

I just wanted to point out that while Nokia is making the platform more open for developers, for end users it is now slightly more closed.

Tags
comparison, competition, droid, fight, milestone, motorola droid, motorola milestone, n900, nokia n900