Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thats yet another proof, that if we want to have something done right, we must do it ourself. Fortunatelly, we have quite good software base, but judging after Cordia fail, we should start designing device from "scratch" as soon as we can. It's not easy process, but very rewarding (see Open Pandora).
open hardware projects are still in its infancy. Open Pandora had a good reason: there were no open handheld gaming devices with specs close to the desired product.

In tablets it currently is difficult to get a open ARM based tablet, but we could use a netbook with touchscreen based on atom, and develop a software stack based on Debian or similar on such a device. An ARM build could be maintained by testing on a beagle board, waiting for an open ARM tablet alternative to come to market. With the new flock of Android and Windows tablet in 2012, we have a good chance to get just that.
Atom based touchscreen netbooks, are available, open and relatively cheap. Beagle board also: open, cheap and easily available.

Edit: Also open Pandora also had a lot of problems with manufacturers of the parts. it is REALLY difficult to make custom hardware for small businesses.

Last edited by Bernard; 2011-09-28 at 10:17.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
How come there always has to be a new name, new tools, new firms? For media attention or what? Why not just continue some long term process that others have already started? Shouldn't Linux Foundation control this kind of stuff? How come the current linux projects are not compatible?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tesno For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
No Qt in Tizen. Documentation on transitioning Qt applications will be published in due course, according to Dawn Foster on IRC.

Not good news IMHO - Qt was what made MeeGo interesting. HTML5 as the only development frameworks is going to be a disaster for several years to come, it may (MAY) be the future in several more years, by which time nobody will give a rats @rse about Tizen.
Nomovok provides Tizen with integrated Qt

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zappa For This Useful Post:
Personally, i would prefer waiting 2 years for custom-build, good device, than waiting n years until someone really release new open device (or not). Also, Pandora guys did have problems, but they resolved it.

As for device niche - there is currently *no* device in the market, that is portable (screen not bigger than 5 inches) 100% open linux computer, with additional benefit of acting as 100% funcional phone. Besides N900, of course (but as we already know too good, thanks to Nokia bullsh|t, it's also not 100% open).

One with decent hardware would be really overkill.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
If Nokia are really going to push Qt and S40, then I may well end up going down that route. I'm too old and too broke to chase another FOSS rainbow. Give me a call when somebody finally lives up to their promises.

My website

GitHub

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Everybody saw the MeeGo demise coming when Intel recently downscaled their resources, and with Maemo, MeeGo@Nokia, and WebOS ending, I was starting to fear that we would not see another Linux on smartphones for several years to come.

Then I read about this and got my hopes up. Till I stumbled over the word "HTML5". That's not a smartphone, that's a browser.

Well, I took another look to see what they say over at MeeGo, and in the suicide note comments, I noticed that somebody have already announced Qt on Tizen. (As Zappa said)

If Qt support can be announced by a third party immediately after OS announcement, that means the platform isn't so closed down. If it's open for the Qt framework, it's open for other frameworks.

This, gentlemen, sounds like we'll have a real Linux phone again. Eventually. I heard Q1 2012.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
ahaha, love that drinks can

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by volt View Post
This, gentlemen, sounds like we'll have a real Linux phone again. Eventually. I heard Q1 2012.
We've heard this same sh1t before with MeeGo. I'm tired of the same old broken promises being rehashed. If they manage to get a device out early next year, I imagine it will be a netbook. I doubt they'll have a handset ready by then.

My website

GitHub

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Malaysia
I went from windows/symbian to linux/maemo5 because of the N900. Been a year plus, still a noob and loving it. Lived thru the disappointing Maemo/Moblin merger. Learned to love Meego.. Now this... Almost heartbroken enough to go Android... Almost... Looks like Maemo6/Harmattan till it falls apart then on to feature phones... Sad bloody day...

The Following User Says Thank You to joelsk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
If Nokia are really going to push Qt and S40, then I may well end up going down that route. I'm too old and too broke to chase another FOSS rainbow. Give me a call when somebody finally lives up to their promises.

Well, I guess you could argue that there are a bunch of empty calories there, but I think it is a good thing in the long run. I'm tired of nokia with the n950/n9 fiasco. I'm delighted to see other players involved in a linux based platform. When you consider the rate Samsung can push out new phones I think they have a chance to succeed. Although I will probably get an android phone in the near future, I look forward to more options down the road.

I agree the name is not so good.. How about Tease... or better yet, how about Tizzy? That is more reflective of the state of mind of many on these threads...

I also have a suggestion to Nokia in regards to the 92k N9s. Divide them evenly between the developers that got the N950. They'll need the money...

Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen