Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I'm casting another vote for "Please don't change the new behavior. Pretty please. But other behavior options OK."
+1

If it bothers someone, they can hit "mark forums read".

It always perplexes me that if a suggestion, if implemented, would *not* effect those *not* interested in it that those very same people are always likely to jump in with "leave things as they are" type responses :-))))

I should have stated earlier that a lot of the time I do actually read the forums on the tablet itself, using one of the alternative styles (mobile II) and there is *NO* indication between genuine-new/purposely-ignored posts.

Last edited by muki; 2008-04-28 at 10:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to muki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
In any case, if you don't want to see it you simply click 'Mark Forums Read' in 'Quick Links' when you're done with reading new posts. The next time you select new posts you won't see any of those unread, older posts.
As a Noob, I've been dealing with 500+ new and unread posts each time I logged on until I did a few searches and found this old thread. Yeah, I should have read the FAQ from the top to the bottom but I only read through Thread Tools and then I skipped to the Reading and Posting Messages section so I didn't see the Quick Links FAQ. And, admittedly, I just looked at the FAQ subjects rather than searching the FAQ. And it's no longer a problem for me. But I'll still ask, at an incredibly low level of priority:

Could Today's Posts and Mark Forums Read be added as a drop down menu under New Posts? - or -

Could the general search box search the FAQ as well as the actual posts? - or -

Could someone mention the Mark Forums Read in the Viewing New Posts or Today's Posts section of the FAQ? (I'd volunteer but the FAQ is not set up with an edit option that I can see).

Last edited by DaveP1; 2009-09-17 at 21:30.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
For the first time i cannot keep pace with the amount of posts happening on maemo.org!

My solution to tedious hidden menu options is not to log in :-) Now I mainly use "Todays Posts".

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by muki View Post
It always perplexes me that if a suggestion, if implemented, would *not* effect those *not* interested in it that those very same people are always likely to jump in with "leave things as they are" type responses :-))))
Amen brother!

Some time back I was requested by a customer to have the production line start organizing cell phone sales packs in larger boxes by their serial number. At the time the sorting was random. It occurred to me that this change might actually speed us up a tiny bit as well as making the customer happy.

So I proposed a master carton label change to the IT guy responsible.

"No one else has asked for this so I can't implement it. All customers have to approve of a change like this," he responded.

"The same customers who now have no preference whatsoever, apparently, since the packs are currently sorted randomly?" I asked.

"um... yeah... well..."

"Just do it," I said. "If others don't care now, why would they even notice after the change?"

Blew my mind I had to explain that...

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-09-18 at 23:23.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
(EDIT: There are other changes I would prefer to put priority on, e.g. to get an option to set times to 24-hour format. As it is now I have some trouble to see when postings were made, I can't wrap my head around AM/PM. Must always stop to ponder.)
Regie recently added this.

Check in your CP under "Edit Options" (and at the end of the page) and you'll be really happy. There is formatting choices for date and time.

Edit: Found the link

Last edited by Saturn; 2009-09-18 at 23:35. Reason: added URL

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Amen brother!

Some time back I was requested by a customer to have the production line start organizing cell phone sales packs in larger boxes by their serial number. At the time the sorting was random. It occurred to me that this change might actually speed us up a tiny bit as well as making the customer happy.

So I proposed a master carton label change to the IT guy responsible.

"No one else has asked for this so I can't implement it. All customers have to approve of a change like this," he responded.

"The same customers who now have no preference whatsoever, apparently, since the packs are currently sorted randomly?" I asked.

"um... yeah... well..."

"Just do it," I said. "If others don't care now, why would they even notice after the change?"

Blew my mind I had to explain that...
Resources man, resources.

In your case other customers may not have been aware of another customers request. However, when they are as others are here... one request soon turns into a downpour.

Also in your case, you saw a benefit in increased productivity for the whole line. However, in a case where most wouldn't be affected either way I must then say; why waist the resources?

Whoever takes the empire and wishes to do anything to it I see will have no respite.
The empire is a sacred vessel and nothing should be done to it.
Whoever does anything to it will ruin it;
whoever lays hold of it will lose it.

Hence some things lead and some follow;
Some breathe gently and some breathe hard;
Some are strong and some are weak;
Some destroy and some are destroyed.

Therefore the sage avoids excess, extravagance, and arrogance

–-Tao Te Ching, Chapter 29

...nunna, nunna, nunna, nunna, nunna