So it happened that my N9 bricked today.

I updated it to 1.3 via the official installer that appeared to my phone some four days ago.
Now today the phone got really slow, refused to send text messages and some programs would not open at all (at least notepad and twitter). So I booted the phone, and then it never woke up again.

I have the gray nokia text in the center of the screen and booting stops there.

This does not seem to be very common problem, as I've found just one other guy who also has this fancy feature from PR 1.3.

Is there any way to get the phone to boot without flashing it? I have connected it to my laptop also but it isn't recognized at all.

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm sorry my friend, only clean flash will get your N9 back to life...rootFS.bin + EMMC.bin
but don't worry, flashing N9 is a nice routine here and there...

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
I'm sorry my friend, only clean flash will get your N9 back to life...rootFS.bin + EMMC.bin
but don't worry, flashing N9 is a nice routine here and there...
Please STOP telling people to do things that ARE NOT NECESSARY!

DO NOT LISTEN TO ANYBODY SAYING FLASH YOUR EMMC AS A FIRST RESORT!!

It shows a clear lack of understanding...

If you flash your eMMC then you lose ALL your Files!!

Anybody saying Flash rootFS and eMMC clearly doesn't know what they are talking about..

Look up a guide on how to flash your N9, use NaviFirm 1.7 to download the firmware for your phone and then only flash the rootfs, dont touch the eMMC unless you are still having issues after a normal reflash...

Sometimes a little bit of knowledge is a bad thing..

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to godofwar424 For This Useful Post:
we all know here what rootFS-only flash does, just like we certainly know what flashing with EMMC.bin does...
the OP's situation probably needs complete flash, so the new FW can be properly reinstated. As he was apparently aware of concept of flashing in his post already, he'd certainly realize there could be a situation of losing data...that's why the BACKUPS exist...flashing the phone with EMMC.bin is no heart-breaker, as you outlined...it's simply the best way to reinstate the FW into a out-of-factory state and helps getting rid of most issues with N9, and yes, WITH losing all personal data...
nevertheless, nobody asked you to be offensive...

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
we all know here what rootFS-only flash does, just like we certainly know what flashing with EMMC.bin does...
the OP's situation probably needs complete flash, so the new FW can be properly reinstated. As he was apparently aware of concept of flashing in his post already, he'd certainly realize there could be a situation of losing data...that's why the BACKUPS exist...flashing the phone with EMMC.bin is no heart-breaker, as you outlined...it's simply the best way to reinstate the FW into a out-of-factory state and helps getting rid of most issues with N9, and yes, WITH losing all personal data...
nevertheless, nobody asked you to be offensive...
Telling somebody to flash both eMMC and rootFS without putting a little warning notice of what will happen is not a smart move.

Anybody reading this could follow your advice and end up moaning about how they lost their files.

eMMC will only need to be flashed if it has been corrupted.

eMMC is not needed for something like the OP's problem, just a simple rootFS flash will suffice.

Had the same problem as him countless times and this happened to my mates N9 yday and a standard flash fixed it, no hassle no drama.

Sorry if I was rude but I was trying to make a very bold post to ensure eMMC isn't flashed unless its absolutely necessary and always as a last resort.

N900 Died Replaced with N8, Requested E7, "Accidentally Broke E7", Now rolling with an N9 and im loving it!

My Contributions

N900 Conversations Wiki Page

Originally Posted by Juska View Post
So it happened that my N9 bricked today.

I updated it to 1.3 via the official installer that appeared to my phone some four days ago.
Now today the phone got really slow, refused to send text messages and some programs would not open at all (at least notepad and twitter). So I booted the phone, and then it never woke up again.

I have the gray nokia text in the center of the screen and booting stops there.
I had this exact same problem last night with my N950 - it refused to send text messages, i restarted the phone but it failed to boot past the Nokia logo. It didnt have anything to do with the 1.3 installer obviously (no 1.3 installer for N950), but what a strange coincidence!

Sadly, the only way I could bring it back to life was by using the OneClickFlasher which erased all the contacts, messages, pics, etc on my phone.. but at least it boots up again.

That was the only option I had at my fingertips and I needed a working phone asap. But I'd pay attention to what the guys here are saying and try a rootFS flash first. You have the option of a full flash after if it's still not working, and you might save your files.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-09 at 01:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Telling somebody to flash both eMMC and rootFS without putting a little warning notice of what will happen is not a smart move.

Anybody reading this could follow your advice and end up moaning about how they lost their files.

eMMC is not needed for something like the OP's problem, just a simple rootFS flash will suffice.

Had the same problem as him countless times and this happened to my mates N9 yday and a standard flash fixed it, no hassle no drama.

Sorry if I was rude but I was trying to make a very bold post to ensure eMMC isn't flashed unless its absolutely necessary and always as a last resort.
Totally agree eMMC doesn't have to be touched, first try just flashing rootFS if the problem still there then you have to flash eMMC but I doubt you have to

The Following User Says Thank You to devian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post

fair enough :-)
in case the OP needs flashing with EMMC.bin after all, I suggest backing up with newly released Nokia Suite Beta compatible with N9 as its backup option is quite solid...

The Following User Says Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
Thanks guys for pointing me to less destructive methods.

I am not familiar with the filesystem structure and backups etc, so I'd like to make some points clear to myself.
What are the odds that I could be able to save my photos and videos etc? Does this 'smaller' flashing touch just the OS and keeps the rest of the phone as it was? And are my backups (in the phone storage!) of any use?

Just this weekend and last week I have too videos and photos that are of high importance to me.

I called to Nokia customer care and they of course said that I should take it to a service center. I hardly think that they could do anything else that I could with instructions from this forum, but warranty-wise it may be better idea. And I'd prefer to blaim Nokia Care for destroying my Higgs announcement photos better than blaiming myself.

I'd be happier to take the phone there if I could restore my pics first, but that's probably impossible without taking the phone apart and attach the HDD(?) to a reader or more likely to somehow read the on-board disk somehow.. Or is there a way the phone disk could be read via USB when it's a total brick?

If it has something to do with this situation and my warranty etc, I'd like to add that the phone was in developer mode and I had installed two non-store apps (FM radio and vlc, which I have already removed). Also the 'allow third party installations' etc option was thus enabled. Enabling the developer mode and that other switch should have nothing to do with voiding warranties, right? That would be highly bizarre, as these are option that I can control from the UI.

On more detail that came into my mind is that I could not access the system settings at all before that fatal boot. The phone is cyan N9 16Gb, and bought from Finland.

The Following User Says Thank You to Juska For This Useful Post: