Notices

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Netherlands
UPDATE:

Jun 2012 Meego

Thee has been remarkable process of developing a Meego version for N9 as indicated in this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=76

It is still in alpha / beta stage, but it already looks very desirable!
Thanks to divan!!

Maemo 5

Thanks to keynya we have a working version of Anki now for the N900. One can find it in Extra Devel as ankiqt900 or install it via the terminal
Code:
apt-get install ankiqt900
Normal warnings for extra devel apply as stated in the wiki

What is working:
  • Full sync with Anki web
  • horizontal mode
  • Complex desk with different fields (imaging and sound)
  • Plugins (tested: Resize image)
  • Mainly all functions that are needed to review properly
  • Editing is also possible, but I can not advice it, Desktop version is faster and has a better overview.
  • Buttons adjusted (fitting) by simple change of theme. ankiqt900 is now using per default
- style motif option
This was found out by Muttin. Thanks Muttin!

Things to do:
  • establish better menu structure and visibility as shown here:
  • more stylish theme
  • testing
  • voting

If somebody knows how to tell Qt (I believe) how to obtain the menu structure, the help would highly appreciated here.

Personal Note

Because keynya was the main developer/helper in this process, I found it only fair to give him the promised money, but in fact he denied simply of his generosity and stated that it might be better to give it directly to Damien, the main developer of Anki. This is real altruism. THANK YOU KEYNYA!

Original request / post

Dear all,

anki is a beautiful program for SRS (spaced repetition) and I would love to see it on the N900. You can learn easily any facts from language to Medicine.
  • It has two versions that sanchi originally published for older maemo versions (see here: ankimaemi).
  • There was also an active thread going already further with Anki for N900. (see: Anki for N900)

The current situation is that there are two or three packages, that are initially packed for maemo 4 Diablo and can't be really used on Maemo 5. Unfortunately sanchi seems not maintaining the package anymore.

Ankiqt (the desktop version from anki) is working but the interface is not suitable for the N900 and ankimaemi is not working due to some conflicts.

What I would like to ask the keen developer is to port this awesome program to the N900. All big platforms like Android have a fully working equivalent for their use.

To stimulate the community I offer 25 € for bringing ankimaemi to the n900, in a state that it is accepted for the extras catalogue. From the functionality it should be equal to that of ankidroid. I know my offer is no real stimulator, but I'm student and would love to use the program on the go.

The ankimaemi package can be found here:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/ankimaemi/

The ankidroid homepage can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/

The Anki homepage can be found here:
http://ankisrs.net/

Maybe someone will join me with a donation for a developer so that we can add our amounts together. Payment via PayPal.

Any comments like better advices or something are highly appreciated.

Best regards,
studiosus

Last edited by studiosusmed; 2012-06-03 at 23:45. Reason: update

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to studiosusmed For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I played around with the Version 1.0.1 of Anki and the buttons and almost all the letters were a bit too big for the small N900 screen. Is this the problem why you think the desktop version is unusable on the N900? Because this can easily be changed. Also screen rotation can be turned on by a single line of code. After that I had a usable version of Anki on the N900. I did not test sound output, plug-ins or complex decks. Synchronizing worked very well which is very nice, because editing single cards is possible but not very convenient on the N900.

I still use this old version for on my N900 to learn a language. Which is pretty cool, because as far as I know the Anki versions for the Android and iOS are a bit limited with respect to synchronisation of whole decks.

I think it would be possible with a few hours of work to adapt this changes into a newer version of Anki. And package it (although I have no idea how to do that).

Cheers,

Keynya

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keynya For This Useful Post:
Yes, Keynya!

This is very cool.

Your description is exactly my problem. I would like it more if it is suitable for the N900. At this point plugins and sound output are not that important for me, but a smaller font for the dialogues and screen rotation would be awesome!

Unfortunately I have also no idea on how packing work - simple user but maybe there is something in the wiki??

If you are able to do that I would be more than glad!!

Best wishes,
studiosus

Hi

I have the newest version 1.2.7 running on my N900. It is usable, but far from perfect. I will see if I can package it this week.

Cheers

keynya

Hi keynya

This would be really great! I'm looking forward to test your ported version 1.2.7. Does even sync work? This would be perfect!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards
marphy

How does it differs from Mnemosyne?

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
How does it differs from Mnemosyne?
Anki is quite more easy to use and handle on PC. For instance, if I would like to change the interval in Mneomsyne, then it is much harder than in Anki. For short reviewing before an exam, this makes a real difference. Despite that, Mnemosyne is not properly working on my N900. E.g. I can't open a deck I got from my PC.

@Keynya: Thanks for your effort!!

Hi,

ankiqt900, version 1.2.7-3 is in extras-devel. As always downloading something from the extras-devel repository is done on your own risk.

I was able to install it on my device. It is running and has a nice logo to start it. It is possible that you have to install additional packages which I have already installed from a previous installation of ankiqt. Unfortunately it is unstable when started using the desktop shortcut, but when I start the programm using the terminal it is stable. In the terminal just type "anki". I have no idea why this is.

The following things work:

- Screen rotation
- downloading a personal deck
- Sync works
- I can review all the decks I have tested (just simple text only decks)
- Browsing items of a deck is possible but not really usable

Just to make it clear, this version is in development and i have made some quick and dirty changes, I just changed the size of some text and some buttons from the original ankiqt (www.ankisrs.net). So ankiqt900 looks not very nice, but I think it is quite usable. Sometimes one has to rotate the N900 a few times to be able to access all fields in the preferences.

If you find any errors please tell me, so I can see if I can solve them.

In the next few days I will probably upload new builds of ankiqt900 which may or may not work. So, it is not advisable to update it as soon as a new build is uploaded into extras-devel.

Cheers

keynya

Dear keynya,

thanks for your work. I'm still facing a problem with installing.

I can't install it via the package manager and got the following output from the terminal:

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install ankiqt900
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ankiqt900
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 61 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/954kB of archives.
After this operation, 3527kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 49496 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking ankiqt900 (from .../ankiqt900_1.2.7-3_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/ankiqt900_1.2.7-3_all.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/anki/facts.py', which is also in package anki
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/ankiqt900_1.2.7-3_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Is that helping you in any direction?

Thanks again!

I had the same error. You have to open a terminal and become root. After that you have to uninstall anki, by typing: "apt-get remove anki"

This error is because you still have the old anki libraries installed.

After that the installation worked fine for me.

Cheers,

keynya

Last edited by keynya; 2011-03-10 at 12:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keynya For This Useful Post: