Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Very cool idea, if somewhat crazy (but then most of the best ideas are!)

Semi-related, and might be useful information for this thread -- has anyone found a reliable source for replacement N900 screens?

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
Very cool idea, if somewhat crazy (but then most of the best ideas are!)

Semi-related, and might be useful information for this thread -- has anyone found a reliable source for replacement N900 screens?
the cnn.cn site is very reliable source i ordered several parts from there and i am very happy with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to moshikko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Queens, NY
Lets say you do change the screen from the Sony to the LG. Now you would have to deal with switching it back in case you need a replacement.

---
Who but me?!
--HeavyC.

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
We don't know if the N900's Maemo can handle the resolution of the iPhone screen.

Eg. even if it is physically possible to fit it, it is possible that the OS can't utilize the extra space.
It could use it. GTK can scale up depending on what you supply for DPI settings, and X, well, X works if you configure it. 3D might be a bit slower, simply due to the higher resolution, but not much.

I think that's a distant concern, though.

the screens for the n900 are $130 us to replace

Nokia N900: Sony ACX565AKM (cant find the data sheet, but if someone would be willing to help )
iPhone 4: APN-821-0695-A (even HARDER to find because its branded apple, yet produced by LG)

the resistive v capacitive is a non issue because, unless im mistaken, and without the data sheet for the iphone screen i very well could be. but the matrix for both touch sensitive displays is a separate piece, with the last 3 iphones there was a digitizer to handle the input. but with the new phone and its new production they could have incorporated the digitizer into the screen manufacturing process to cut down on size. so i dont know if the new screen falls under the new umbrella.

the n900 also has its resistive panel separate from the lcd, so i dont see a problem there, it would need to be recalibrated of course but again this is farther down the line.

let me get a completely white screen before i can think about the rest. i think once we can find the data sheets and figure out the connection differences b.w the 2 screens i can start to buy parts and tools. Another question popped up just now and that is, will the n900 have enough power for the IPS. regardless i have no problem trying this esp with the help of the board, who knows we could beat nokia's RX-99.

Last edited by shady; 2010-06-28 at 20:56.

As far as I am aware the new iphone 4 has the digitizer built into the screen as an all in one unit

sounds like a good project to do though