Active Topics

Notices

I'm back from vacation, so, as promised, donation sent. sorry that it's such a small amount - I really can't afford more ATM, without harm for my on-going N900 related hardware projects.

Still, if You ever would like to have dual-scuds/mugen backcover with lens cover, I would (with pleasure) prepare one for You for free (only hardware costs).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Aand, bad news. My USB port broke(HW revision 2101).
I should be able to fix it, but... it's going to be a challenge.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Too bad for us all. Might be a sign your N900 was too tired and seeing a N950 in same houdehold gave him the final shot.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Oh damn, I feel really sorry for You. Keep us updated, after Your attempts to fix it.

By the way, it reminds me, that I need to disassemble my N900, scratch some solder mask, and solder port to cooper shielding layer, then encapsulate in epoxy... Just in case.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

I have gotten backupmenu to start from u-boot without needing r&d mode nor repartitioning and without complex instructions this time..

so forget the complex instructions at
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=882

new instructions:
download the zip archive from http://ifile.it/d3ehfn2 (5.8 MB)
extract the contents of the archive to the first partition of your sdcard (fat32).
shutdown, then start again and let u-boot timer time out.

thats all !
can't get any easier

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

notes (normally not needed):

1)backupmenu disk gets loaded as an initrd and backupmenu runs from the ram, so configuring network interfaces by modifying backupmenu directly is not possible.(well it is possible but it won't be saved when you reboot)
instead place a file called interfaces, containing your network configuration on the first partition of the sdcard, backupmenu will use that instead.

2)if you already have a boot.scr file on the first partition of your sdcard, rename the one from the archive to backupmenu.scr
u-boot will normally load your original boot.scr file, and when you want to run backupmenu, there are 2 solutions:

a)sane solution:
rename your boot.scr to something else and rename backupmenu.scr to boot.scr and start the device.

b)crazy solution:
interrupt the u-boot timer and write the following :

Code:
mmc init
fatload mmc1 0 0x80000400 backupmenu.scr
source 0x80000400
you will have to type that blazingly fast though if you haven't enabled r&d mode and set no-omap-wd r&d flag.

Last edited by ivyking; 2011-08-23 at 19:23.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
This is probably something simple, but I wasn't able to figure it out.

I'm using ext4 for home, instead of ext3. Of course, backupmenu backuping and restoring is coded for ext3. I've manually replaced ext3 from appropriate parts of backupmenu code (with ext4, of course) - backuping works great.

ho ever, when trying to restore, backupmenu complains about mkfs.ext4 command - it marks it "unavailable". I've checked via terminal that mkfs.ext4 can be called upon from terminal.

Ho ever, restoring backup proceed when i hit any button, and was successful. I've checked that I'm still running ext4 So, I presume, that only "nuke'ing" part failed, i.e. my system was restored without re-creating partition, i.e. behavior from older versions was used (?).

Is there any way to make backupmenu working 100% for ext4 home?

// Edit

Of course it complained only about optFS, rootFS went smoothly.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
This is probably something simple, but I wasn't able to figure it out.

I'm using ext4 for home, instead of ext3. Of course, backupmenu backuping and restoring is coded for ext3. I've manually replaced ext3 from appropriate parts of backupmenu code (with ext4, of course) - backuping works great.

ho ever, when trying to restore, backupmenu complains about mkfs.ext4 command - it marks it "unavailable". I've checked via terminal that mkfs.ext4 can be called upon from terminal.

Ho ever, restoring backup proceed when i hit any button, and was successful. I've checked that I'm still running ext4 So, I presume, that only "nuke'ing" part failed, i.e. my system was restored without re-creating partition, i.e. behavior from older versions was used (?).

Is there any way to make backupmenu working 100% for ext4 home?

// Edit

Of course it complained only about optFS, rootFS went smoothly.
edit BackupMenuLauncher.item
and add the line:

cp /sbin/mkfs.ext4 /tmp/disk/sbin

it can generally be place anywhere in that file, outside loops and if conditions and before the pivot_root.

if you just need a mark, place it above the line:
cd /tmp/disk/bin

now you are done with BackupMenuLauncher.

you need to make sure you have edited BackupMenu.item correctly.
1) make sure you insmod/modprobe ext4 early enough (where the ext3 module was loaded originally is a good position)
2) make sure you modify all mount commands with -t ext4 instead of ext3
3) make sure you replace mkfs.ext3 with mkfs.ext4 through out the file.
4) makesure you replace fsck.ext3 command with fsck.ext4 command, for checking partition

I think thats all the references to the fs type that need to be replaced, hopefully I haven't forgotten anything.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Hi, I have some problems with BM. A few days ago the filesystem of my optfs broke and I have some "Stale NFS Handler"-files again. I know that there is absolutely no way to get rid of them except of reformatting the partition. But that's not the point.
Making a backup still works despite of the broken files which are presented as an error in backup menu. Last time the counter went up to 28 errors but after finishing the backup BM said that everything finished successfully. But there WERE errors!

So I have two suggestions:
  1. create a logfile with output of tar (maybe use option -v too) right next to backupfile so one can afterwards see what tar did and where it failed
  2. display some corrected message after finishing backup. reading a message like "everything is fine" after having seen a bunch of errors is not fun at all.

In case you use the output of tar for displaying status message you could use 'tee' which redirects input to stdout and a file simultaneously.

And another question as I couldn' find a definitive answer yet: when restoring a backup, is the filesystem reformatted or are the files getting deleted (using v1.10)?

The Following User Says Thank You to x-lette For This Useful Post:
Huge thanks ivyking, I've modified BackupMenu.item correctly before, but BackupMenuLauncher.item thing was missing. Now it works like a charm.

@x-lette
I second request for saving logs. Also, AFAIK current version of BackupMenu re-create partition (reformat).
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

i'm having the same issue as karam
can we make backupmenu read mydocs as ext3 ?

and estel why using ext4 instead of ext3 ?

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system