Active Topics

Notices

Code:
cant flash kernel, required file not found
Guru Meditation #00000025 .62017712
i believe i must have screwed up something.

before i screwed up, i have:
Speed + Battery batch
Multiboot
Nitdroid (ICS)
CPU freq
BackupMenu

recently, i installed Cleven and i believe the cause of kernel problem happened when i tried to install the wifi driver as instructed in this page.

At Step 5:
Code:
/home/user/MyDocs/wl1251-maemo/binary/kernel-power # cd /boot
/boot # mv zImage-2.6.28-maemo46-wl1 multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-wl1
what i input was:
Code:
/boot # mv zImage-2.6.28-maemo46-wl1 multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-XXX.NTD.XX
XXX represents the part of code which i dont remember exactly. But i am sure there was a 3 capital letters which as i remember was NTD. (i used Tab to complete the code and "/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-XXX.NTD.XX" was what came out and i just went with it.)

i tried to uninstall n reinstall again the kernel v50 but it doesnt solve anything.

Anyone has any idea?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yes you screwed your multiboot kernels!

Why the h..l did you overwrote your Nitdroid kernel?
Doing such mv (or cp) actions always very carefully, especially using autocompletion.

You may boot with keyboard out and press 0 for stock kernel.
Then rename again that
vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-XXX.NTD.XX
to
vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-wl1
Code:
mv /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-XXX.NTD.XX /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-wl1
This way you should get at least the power kernel up again.
For the nitdroid kernel you should check content of file
/etc/multiboot.d/xx-NIT........
You will find something like
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28.NIT.06
Go to ammyts NIT thread and download the kernel from e-yes or nitdroid website and put it under /boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-ZZZ, where ZZZ is what you have as ITEM_KERNEL.

BTW: There are already newer versions of power kernel and also bleeding edge drivers (only necessary for PK>=50) out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
BTW: There are already newer versions of power kernel and also bleeding edge drivers (only necessary for PK>=50) out.
thanks for your reply.
i have installed kernel v50.
and i plan to keep my current version of wifi driver.

i wonder the kernel file which i need to download for file replacement later, which version should i use, either v46 or v50 or any version will work?

they should put this one as a sticky if you want to clone your n900 to another n900, thanks to this i didnt lose all my setup and many thanks to all of you especially for the creator of backupmenu robbie...

The Following User Says Thank You to Changegames For This Useful Post:
Is there any chance BM would backup also kernel? This seems like the only point of failure (restoring backup from different KP version was totally messy, also killed BM and reflash was required)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
I asked the same question zillion of pages ago, and it was explained, that there are no chances for that - at least, without someone incorporating flasher inside BM. Kernel part can't be simply untar'ed/dd'ed.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
This is why I rename my backups to include the kernel version expected now. Handy to know if I need to revert.

Another simple solution would be to tar and temporarily hold the modules folder when doing a restore. Then if the folder doesn't exist for the current kernel, you could restore that after the image restore. (Yes, that opens the chance of a bad restore from a good image, but it does fix the kernel dependency issue...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Well, during installation of kernel-power (without multiboot etc) You're actually flashing it with bundled flasher, so I wonder how hard it would be to include similar flasher in backupmenu + all required reboot routines?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
I just updated to BackupMenu version 1.1 -from 1.0, but now backupmenu doesnt boot anymore... It gives an error about not beeing able to copy evkey.sh (file not found), and than says "press any key to continue".
The problem is now that if I press a key, nothing happens...
Am i doing something wrong?

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
Its only a workaround

do this as root: cp /usr/bin/evkey /usr/sbin/evkey

Backupmenu is then working again

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skaven2k2 For This Useful Post:

Tags
backup, backupmenu, cssusupplement, max(useful), rescue-console, restore, system