Poll: Did you try Qt5 on N900?
Poll Options
Did you try Qt5 on N900?

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Berlin
The calendar example runs!
However, as expected, it looks like Win95: mouse pointer, tiny font etc.

I just copied the libraries without adjusting the paths, so the QtQuick module isn't found yet (even though libQt5Quick.so is in the library path).
Edit: Copied qtbase/qml/QtQuick.2 to the folder of the application, now Qml apps fail with:

Code:
Cant find EGLConfig, returning null config
QQuickWindow: makeCurrent() failed...
ASSERT: "context" in file opengl/qopenglfunctions.cpp, line 194
Aborted
Shortlog of what I've done:
  1. git clone etc. (see http://qt-project.org/wiki/Building_Qt_5_from_Git)
  2. remove the hardfp flag in qtbase/mkspecs/devices/linux-maemo-n9-g++/qmake.conf
  3. configure using sysroot and toolchain from Madde: ./configure -developer-build -opensource -nomake examples -nomake tests -no-gtkstyle -confirm-license -device linux-maemo-n9-g++ -device-option CROSS_COMPILE=/opt/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/toolchains/arm-2007q3-51sb6-gdb71-arm-none-linux-gnueabi_linux_x86_64/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- -sysroot /opt/QtSDK/Maemo/4.6.2/sysroots/fremantle-arm-sysroot-20.2010.36-2-slim/ -qt-xcb
  4. make and wait for errors
  5. #define missing XCB constants to 0 (they are defined as such on Ubuntu), except for those containing ATOM: copy the enum in xproto.h of your host system
  6. remove missing parts from xcb-error struct in the error handling function (they are just printed to stderr)
  7. minor corrections when another error occurs
  8. copy some libs (depends on example), an example and the xcb-plugin (to ./platform/libqxcb.so) to the N900 and run ./example (I've tried calendar (in examples/widgets/richtext/))

Here are the binaries:
removed, use the repo as explained in the wiki: http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt5-Maemo5-Dev...t5_on_the_N900

Last edited by frafI; 2013-02-12 at 22:46.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frafI For This Useful Post:
maybe you can do it
i hope so
thanks for trying for us

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
can someone do that? i asume with new qt the lagg will decrease.
How?
You assume the system will use Qt5 if it's installed?
You're in for a rough surprise... It's like putting a Ferrari engine in the trunk of your old car - it won't make it go faster, it won't even be in use (except if you have applications explicitly linked against these libraries).

if you replace the old engine with the ferrari one you'll feel the boost

You can't, as your car's connectors were built for the old engine, and there is no way to build in that new one. If you take out the old engine, your car will not function.
That's what I'm trying to tell you.

the connectors can be modified to fit

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
In plain English, Qt5 breaks binary compatibility, and there is no software available that uses Qt5.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
you can stay all day whining about it ... QT 5 won't upgrade your ram or cpu . Be happy about the support of the community for N900 till now .

Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
the connectors can be modified to fit
Really? Tell me how.

You admitted you're at the "learning stage" with Linux. I've been using it on the desktop and other devices for 10+ years. You don't have to believe me, and I'm done trying to convice you. Have fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
if you can put an electric car to an old car , sure you can retrofit a engine with proper adjustments.
i've seen many things working on this device , that's why i'm confident.
you don't need cpu or ram upgrade you'll need software to run faster on the same hardware.
that i hope the newer qt brings