Notices

I have two sets (two files) of contacts in Vcard format. One was exported from kaddressbook and the other from evolution. Both contains more or less the same 300 records.

When I tried to import any of them to "GPE contact" it refuses with message "One Vcard-file was not imported". Firstly, I thought GPE unable to import more than one record per file; but I tried with two-record Vcard-file successfully.

So, apparently the problem comes from some specific records that have some fields or formats which are not compatible with Vcard management of GPE. But the short log message does not help me very much to filter the buggy records.

The hard solution is to make 300 files with one record each and import them individually (tought!). Is there any smarter solution? Can you tell me something about GPE that helps me to correct the undesired records?

TIA

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Marseille (France)
Do you have some pictures in your addressbook? To import my vcard addressbook from KAddressbook to GPE I had to clear all the contact's pictures.

Originally Posted by Yaya
Do you have some pictures in your addressbook? To import my vcard addressbook from KAddressbook to GPE I had to clear all the contact's pictures.
Thanks for your three cents ;-) but that's not the point: I don't use pictures.

I've imported a relatively long list, which members was carefully elected not to have any strange issue (characters, break-line "\", etc). But I don't catch the clue.

Does GPE produce longer logs anywhere?

Well, smarter yes, but probably not in the way you were hoping...

You cut it up in half and import one half at a time. One of them will have the faulty record in it, but the other one should import nicely, so now you are 50% there :-)
Cycle, rinse, repeat with the half that contains the faulty record. In the end you should be able to do it in 8 or 9 cycles max, which should be a hell of a lot faster than 300...

Good luck :-)

// Kny

I could never get multi-contacts Vcard to import from Evolution to gpe contacts on the 770. I am sure the format was OK, as it would import into the Nokia Contacts, and other apps (e.g. Thunderbird). The way I finally ended up doing it was install the GPE-Contacts binary on my Desktop (Ubuntu), import the Vcard into this, then drag the data file (.gpe folder) to the Nokia. The SQlite database is compatable. It is ugly, but it works.

Originally Posted by troubleshootr
The way I finally ended up doing it was install the GPE-Contacts binary on my Desktop (Ubuntu), import the Vcard into this, then drag the data file (.gpe folder) to the Nokia. The SQlite database is compatable. It is ugly, but it works.
Not ugly: really smart! But it does not work GPE in desktop box behaves exactly as in mobile box.

I feel that problem comes from "LABEL"-field, where new-line codes "\" perhapas are not welcome.

BTW: why is not possible to sync GPE with, say, evolution? Will the new Maemo PIM application sync?
http://www.maemo-apps.org/content/sh...?content=40710

Originally Posted by mpancorbo
Not ugly: really smart! But it does not work GPE in desktop box behaves exactly as in mobile box.

I feel that problem comes from "LABEL"-field, where new-line codes "\" perhapas are not welcome.

BTW: why is not possible to sync GPE with, say, evolution? Will the new Maemo PIM application sync?
http://www.maemo-apps.org/content/sh...?content=40710
Not sure why it worked for me. The new Maemo PIM is supposed to sync. I am not sure to what, I am hoping sync to Evolution. It is due out in September.

Originally Posted by mpancorbo
So, apparently the problem comes from some specific records that have some fields or formats which are not compatible with Vcard management of GPE.
This is the point.

Some of the exported records have fields (mainly "ADR" and "LABEL") ending with "\" symbol, that means "field continues in the next line". But the importing tool in GPE does not recognize this coding and thus fails.

Example:

BEGIN:VCARD
ADR;TYPE=work:;;blablablabla\, SW?? 8TY;London\
United Kingdom;
VERSION: 3.0
END:VCARD

That should be:

BEGIN:VCARD
ADR;TYPE=work:;;blablablabla\, SW?? 8TY;London;United Kingdom;
VERSION: 3.0
END:VCARD

I hope this helps somebody.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ here and there
thank you all. i had a fail problem too. turns out it was one bad contact. now the question is how do i clear all my contacts? i guess i got a bit exited and added the vcard file twice. hope to hell i dont have to go one by one to delete them.

To remove all contacts, just delete /home/user/.gpe/contacts.

Aloha,

-Jeff