Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I have lost most data on my 8GB SDHC Flash Card lately. Apparently, the card got corrupted when read via USB. I tried to recover my data, but only made things worse and worse. In the end, the card could not be formatted via USB. When formatted by the N800, the card became quickly corrupted. fsck gave strange errors when run on a freshly formatted card.

I see that other users here have had similar problems, up to a point where their card became unusable.

My two cents: my cards became usable again when formatted in a digital camera (a Canon that can read SDHC). Works like a charm again. Worth a try.

if a canon camera can be used to reformat a 'broken' sd(hc) card so it will work again in an n800 it would seem to make sense that nokia, or someone here on the forum, can figure out and fix the problem. have others had the same experience of fixing a lunched card in their cameras?

and since neither a windows machine nor the n800 itself can repair the corruption but the firmware/software in the camera can, doesn't it make sense it is a firmware/software/operating system ptoblem with the n800, not a hardware problem? this seems like a problem which coulda woulda shoulda been solved and fixed long ago.

john

Try the Panasonic SD card formatter. I have recovered many "broken" cards with this utility.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

my Kodak also "fixes" the cards but alas they just break again.

Originally Posted by troubleshootr View Post
Try the Panasonic SD card formatter. I have recovered many "broken" cards with this utility.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html
none of our digital cameras use sd cards. installed the panasonic format software but it says each time i run it that the card is locked and won't be able to be formatted until i unlock it. of course it is unlocked. also discovered a similar sd formatting product from toshiba, but when it runs it refuses to even see the drive.

Originally Posted by jdr93 View Post
if a canon camera can be used to reformat a 'broken' sd(hc) card so it will work again in an n800 it would seem to make sense that nokia, or someone here on the forum, can figure out and fix the problem. have others had the same experience of fixing a lunched card in their cameras?

and since neither a windows machine nor the n800 itself can repair the corruption but the firmware/software in the camera can, doesn't it make sense it is a firmware/software/operating system ptoblem with the n800, not a hardware problem? this seems like a problem which coulda woulda shoulda been solved and fixed long ago.

john
How about the following repair utility?

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

--Denis