Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
First of all, appnss, thank you for posting some sense in this thread. I've really appreciated your past couple of comments.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
The project is continuing, but as I said and the developer re-iterated in his post, there are many other things that take precedence - work and family, among other things. It's a side project.
Yes, and this is not something that has changed in the past couple of weeks. You didn't grow a family in 2 weeks, a handful of kids didn't ask for feeding in the past couple of weeks. Guess what, a lot of people here have jobs. I've been traveling the world and then some, yet I'm still following roughly what's what.

Again, if the amount of work is too big, ask for help. There are loads of people here who can help.

These guys are real people, who have full time jobs, families and other responsibilities. You can't honestly expect him to go full-steam and producing a side-hobby for what is clearly a lot of ingrates who can't really begin to understand the scope of this project.
Wow wow wow; my moderator-hatted-me is going nuts on this. Don't give us that kind of bollocks mate. There may be people here who are just users, but I know that some of us definitely aren't. I can't speak for the vast majority of users in this thread, but how about you come to the next Maemo Summit (or whatever it's called these days) and have a look at the irc-fueled clique (we know who we are). Every single one of us has written code for Maemo, be it directly or indirectly.

Some are more involved than others, but the truth is, I think a lot of us have a lot more inside knowledge of how projects are managed, executed and written than you do, or even neopwn for that matter (from what we can tell).

As for "promising and not delivering" - when exactly did a promise of a public release go out? Did an announcement take place about a specific date it would be released to the public?
Erhm, yes. On the neopwn.com front page. In the same post (or the one before) as the video teasers, it was indicated that a "a beta release of the first BackTrack Mobile operating system for the Nokia N900 [...] will be public shortly before the Blackhat and Defcon conferences in July 2010". This has now been conveniently removed from any of the posts -- shame that Google cache remembers.

(click on the image to go to the Google Cache)

Did the developer completely halt the project? Is the developer not RIGHT HERE giving his reasons and an explanation for any delay?
No, he's crying like a small child, trying to find excuses so mummy wouldn't be mad because he broke her vase. 'Fess up. "Step up, or step aside". We're not asking for a finished project, we're asking for a release, no matter how finished. I don't care whether it's alpha and hangs if you stop turning around in counter-clockwise mode with a chicken leg dangling between your teeth. I just want something that shows where we're going, and how we can help.

I'd also like to ask, since the majority of you clearly don't have the skills to even assist in the upstart of such a project - what exactly do you need this distribution for? The packages that come with the distribution are freely available for you to get running on your own hardware. You can compiling something, right?
Quite frankly, I (and I believe most people) don't give a shoot about the distribution. What I want is the driver. Without the driver (or some voodoo that allows for packet injection) the distribution (or any of the tools) is useless. It looks like crap, like script-kiddie-heaven-in-a-box.

Originally Posted by IRC
<BCMM> crashanddie_: wow, fixed-width for the interface font sure makes an app look 1337...
<BCMM> crashanddie_: i know it's a minor point, but it instantly makes me feel like the whole thing isn't terribly serious
<BCMM> like, it makes it look like somebody had to talk him out of matrix-theming his security application
As soon as this stuff is released (if it ever is), I'll work with MohammadAG in order to get the driver working without NeoPwn. Then, looking from the options we'll have, I'd like to see either a way to have injection working natively (without the chroot) and then port applications as we go further (and release progressively, in bite-sized chunks).

The last reason, I'm interested in BT Mobile, is that I am by trade a security expert. I have worked for many banks, governments, major telco companies, and I have a wealth of experience when it comes to encryption and penetration testing (check my Maemo or LinkedIn profile for further details).

And the last reason (bis), is that having fun with Bob from Widgets International at the airport is just the cheapest way to have fun, while waiting for delayed trains and flights these days.

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
Yes, and this is not something that has changed in the past couple of weeks. You didn't grow a family in 2 weeks, a handful of kids didn't ask for feeding in the past couple of weeks. Guess what, a lot of people here have jobs. I've been traveling the world and then some, yet I'm still following roughly what's what.

Again, if the amount of work is too big, ask for help. There are loads of people here who can help.
Work loads change. What you are able to do, isn't necessarily exactly the same thing another person is able to do. You have no idea what might be going on in ones personal life.

Wow wow wow; my moderator-hatted-me is going nuts on this. Don't give us that kind of bollocks mate. There may be people here who are just users, but I know that some of us definitely aren't. I can't speak for the vast majority of users in this thread, but how about you come to the next Maemo Summit (or whatever it's called these days) and have a look at the irc-fueled clique (we know who we are). Every single one of us has written code for Maemo, be it directly or indirectly.

Some are more involved than others, but the truth is, I think a lot of us have a lot more inside knowledge of how projects are managed, executed and written than you do, or even neopwn for that matter (from what we can tell).
Then I think it's quite obvious my post was not directed towards you in that regard. There's a reason I didn't say ALL or call specific people out. But I am sure you can agree, based on the type of posters and comments tossed around in the thread, most of the users simply want a "script-kiddie-heaven-in-a-box" and seem to have no quarrels with berating the developers as an attempt to guilt them.

Erhm, yes. On the neopwn.com front page. In the same post (or the one before) as the video teasers, it was indicated that a "a beta release of the first BackTrack Mobile operating system for the Nokia N900 [...] will be public shortly before the Blackhat and Defcon conferences in July 2010". This has now been conveniently removed from any of the posts -- shame that Google cache remembers.
The public beta will essentially have nothing of "real use to you" due to the fact that you seem to only want access to the patched wl12xx driver. Also, "shortly after" BH and DC doesn't mean before or during - which is what most people in this thread assumed, eluded to and then *****ed when no announcement was made within ONE day of BH starting.

Quite frankly, I (and I believe most people) don't give a shoot about the distribution. What I want is the driver. Without the driver (or some voodoo that allows for packet injection) the distribution (or any of the tools) is useless. It looks like crap, like script-kiddie-heaven-in-a-box.
Not all of the tools are wireless network testing suites. You do realize that? There are still a lot of packages that will work fine without requiring live frame injection drivers. I've built a lot of the tools that are on the roster for NeoPwn, running native in Maemo 5 or within a small chroot. If all you want is the patched driver, I can immediately think of 10+ people who would be willing to assist you for a fee, although the majority of them are at BH, DC and BSidesLV.

As soon as this stuff is released (if it ever is), I'll work with MohammadAG in order to get the driver working without NeoPwn. Then, looking from the options we'll have, I'd like to see either a way to have injection working natively (without the chroot) and then port applications as we go further (and release progressively, in bite-sized chunks).
There's nothing needed to "get working without NeoPwn". The patch is a patch is a patch. Apply it to the source kernel, build the module and it will run inside and outside of the chroot. You could have done this, or contracted somebody like David to patch it for you. You didn't. You're waiting on somebody else to do the work. That's fine. But dictating how and when they need to have work done, when you aren't providing any real assistant - isn't fine.

The last reason, I'm interested in BT Mobile, is that I am by trade a security expert. I have worked for many banks, governments, major telco companies, and I have a wealth of experience when it comes to encryption and penetration testing (check my Maemo or LinkedIn profile for further details).

And the last reason (bis), is that having fun with Bob from Widgets International at the airport is just the cheapest way to have fun, while waiting for delayed trains and flights these days.
Then you should offer up your assistance to the developer. I understand you may have a bad taste in your mouth, after this "fiasco" as many would like to call it, but the mere fact that you DO use these tools in your profession, should bring us all together to sort it.

Last edited by hawaii; 2010-07-29 at 06:02.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Spain
The public beta will essentially have nothing of "real use to you" due to the fact that you seem to only want access to the patched wl12xx driver. Also, "shortly after" BH and DC doesn't mean before or during - which is what most people in this thread assumed, eluded to and then *****ed when no announcement was made within ONE day of BH starting.
Now I understand why you were so critic to people expressing their complaints:

It was not announced to be publicly beta released "shortly after" BH/DC (which could perfectly mean years after...) but shortly *BEFORE* BH/DC... and with big/bold remarks on the packet injection feature among many other great announcements posted on the site. And that was never even remotely questioned before the last possible day arrived.

The precise big words and announcements cached on google in the link crashanddie has posted, and many of us clearly remembered is the main reason for all the complaints. Nothing else.

Even if we assume that sometimes **** happens, does it seems now more logical and predictible the negative reaction?

Anyway, let's just hope that something positive can come out of this in the future...

The Following User Says Thank You to appnss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 111 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
Erhm, yes. On the neopwn.com front page. In the same post (or the one before) as the video teasers, it was indicated that a "a beta release of the first BackTrack Mobile operating system for the Nokia N900 [...] will be public shortly BEFORE the Blackhat and Defcon conferences in July 2010". This has now been conveniently removed from any of the posts -- shame that Google cache remembers.
You are quoting a post that clearly says BEFORE and u turn it into "shortly after". Nice

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unhuman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lxp View Post
I can prove you 100% that packet injection is working with wl1251.
Originally Posted by lxp View Post
I also want to note that I am currently not in the position to give anyone access to the packet injection capable driver, because I developed it exclusively for Neopwn.
Which effectively means you can't prove it. Maybe you can assure us that it works, but then again, we only have your word for it. And in these troubled times, and taken into account the fact you have no reputation to speak of, your word is moot.

"Developed exclusively for Neopwn". What a sad, sad day this has become. Sorry excuse for open source.

So much for the "100% free download" we were promised, eh?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Which effectively means you can't prove it. Maybe you can assure us that it works, but then again, we only have your word for it. And in these troubled times, and taken into account the fact you have no reputation to speak of, your word is moot.

"Developed exclusively for Neopwn". What a sad, sad day this has become. Sorry excuse for open source.

So much for the "100% free download" we were promised, eh?
I have to agree with CrashanDie. As of now nothing has been released and Neopwn on N900 is just a proof of concept. Perhaps the target was too high to be reached. There is nothing bad with that. But, now, accept that and (simply) change how thing are being managed. Why not release a public downloadable alpha/beta/whatever? That's opensource after all, isnt't it?

Otherwise as someone stated already that's just vaporware. A good idea that took nowhere. Sad, but true.

The Following User Says Thank You to maddler For This Useful Post:
Maybe the maker of the packet injection could be persuaded to part with the code for a little fee, as noepwn dosnt seems to be going anywere with all this gioing on.

Just remeber every1 has a price

Last edited by mistman; 2010-07-29 at 11:20.

maybe the dev isnt clear enough because he doesnt know what he wants

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
developed exclusively for NeoPwn?
IANAL but tell me, was here some line mentioning GPL somewhere in the headers of the code this exclusive work for NeoPwn was based on? Or do you actually claim you've written a new driver from scratch?

[confused]
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Then again, even with the GPL infringement, as long as there is no distribution of the binary, they're not forced to release the modifications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post: