Active Topics

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I had a problem with my N800 where I went to sleep and my elbow was leaning on it all night

Took out the battery and all was well. Phew.

I have this same problem, it's really getting on my nerves, since about February it has been happening... please, someone say that they know how to fix it!

I started to get troubles using Fbreader, but I don't think Fbreader is guilty.
I have usually the same scenario like in the original mail. Lock device, and then after unlocking suddently I cannot press the buttons I want, while the screen reacts on my tapping opening other things. Pressing home button I am capable to launch calibration utility, which does not always work properly (cannot tap the target). But after few tries everything works OK
until the next lock. Since I did not installed anything last days, I am afraid
this is a hardware issue.

Just got a situation when it happened during the session. Calibration did not work. Took out the battery and put it back. Now it is working, but...

I have the same problem but it seems that if you just slightly press the screen part from them bottom (middle), screen works OK. So atleast in my case it might be that there is somekind of contact problem.

Kind of solution:
I also found the similar solution. If you slide keyboard out and press by a left finger the top part of the screen from the back side - the touch screen
starts working.
Yes, I am quite sure it is some how electricity connection issue. May be if I'd have a screwrdriver and just adjust the screen tighter it might gone.

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
I just started to have this problem... Avigodner's solution works. I have not tried tightening the screws, but I will soon.

Hm. Now it is being even weirder.

Most of the time, it "works" but is horribly miscalibrated, to the point the recalibration tool refuses to work because I need to "press closer to the target" unless I press far afield from said targets... which needless it say, does not help. Is there a way to "force calibrate?"

Also, I can't find a way to tighten those screws.

*Edit* Okay, it's dead... it is very hard to use the IT OS without a touchscreen / mouse. I'm not sure what to do; I don't want to buy a new one after just ~5 months of use, but the IT has become a real part of my daily life. Maybe if I install Debian, I can still get use out of it...

Last edited by ldrn; 2008-05-18 at 23:59.

Try just knock the device, I am not joking. When I slap it quite strong it comes back. Sometimes it is working for few days without problem, sometimes not. My problem is that I don't want to send it to Nokia by 3 reasons:
1. The problem is kinda floating - coming and passing, and I am not sure that nokia technician will find and fix it. To the best of my knowledge they will not send me the replacement device automatically like Dell does. Am I right?
2. I don't want be without the device for few weeks
3. I just don't believe in Nokia service anyhow. I think this is their weak point.

The Following User Says Thank You to avigodner For This Useful Post:
Mine went away altogether and I gave up and mailed it to Nokia. Thanks for the advice, though. I was also wary of trusting their service with all the reviews I heard, but unfortunately reproducing the problem wasn't an issue for me.

I never got around to selling my N800, so I started using that again... after a couple of days, I realized no long amount of time Nokia could take would be worse than what I was already doing. It's really hard to use the IT without a touch screen! Especially changing connections and Canola.

Getting a sticker and instructions for sending in the N810 was easy, at least. Only big issue I had -- you need to give them your WLAN id in ALL CAPS, any lower case letters and they say they can't find it.

Using the N800 again is a big change. I miss the keyboard and form factor a lot, but wow -- I forgot how much more useful the face buttons and D-pad on the N800 were.