Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by virusforu View Post
i have saved the a.out to /usr/bin to execute otherwise its not able to get the permissions.
Q: but still some other N900 devices are not able to install gcc.
If you couldn't get execute permissions on anywehre else you didn't try hard enough. Anything not below "/home/user/MyDocs/" would work. MyDocs (and thus everything in it unless you've done further repartitioning) is FAT formatted - and FAT doesn't support the concept of executable permissions.

I keep my compiled code in /home/user/code/ for that same reason.

Anyway, either way you missed the other point - he didn't ask you why you put it in /usr/bin/, he asked you why you execute it with "./a.out" - if it's in /usr/bin, just "a.out" will suffice, because /usr/bin/ is part of path.

- Edit -
The reason some (most) people can't install GCC is because it's not in the normal repositories of extras, extras-testing, and extras-devel. It's in the sdk repositories. I.E: http://repository.maemo.org with the distribution "fremantle/sdk" (also add "fremantle/tools" with the same url as a seperate repository, because that's the other sdk repository).

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2011-07-08 at 18:48. Reason: gcc comment

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Anyway, either way you missed the other point - he didn't ask you why you put it in /usr/bin/, he asked you why you execute it with "./a.out" - if it's in /usr/bin, just "a.out" will suffice, because /usr/bin/ is part of path.

Mentalist Traceur@ you are true , just see the result with a.out in /usr/bin instead of ./a.out.

The Following User Says Thank You to virusforu For This Useful Post:

Tags
c compiler, c language, c programming, c++ compiler, c++ language, c++ programming, compile, compiler, development, maemo, on-device, on-device development, on-device programming, programming