Active Topics

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Well I only would want to get those members marked that are actually posting officially from Nokia. So that when someone says "there'll probably be portrait mode by the end of the year" I know it comes from someone that knows what he's talking about.

I have no problem with Nokians that are just regular community members like us. But with the influx of new members that is sure to come, there should be an easy way to distinguish regular and official users. I have already seen a new member that confused a regular poster for a Nokia employee.

Community councils should also be easier to identify.
Nokians are latest people that would write "we'll have this feature"

Each worker has to sign a NDA and cannot talk/write/ecc... about anything that is not already public.

This is a common practice in almost all big companies.

So, always expect only rumors

The Following User Says Thank You to andy80 For This Useful Post:
Sometimes they can talk about some stuff, not about new products but some enhancements and so on. For example look at the Portrait mode thread.

And with Harmattan they are promising a lot more openness in the development process so it'll be useful to be able to see when official Nokia employees are actively participating in the community.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Pistoia, Italy
Sometimes they can talk about some stuff, not about new products but some enhancements and so on. For example look at the Portrait mode thread.

And with Harmattan they are promising a lot more openness in the development process so it'll be useful to be able to see when official Nokia employees are actively participating in the community.
GPL/LGPL doesn't mean open-development. If you look for example at PySide project, they have released it when it was almost finished.

Originally Posted by andy80 View Post
GPL/LGPL doesn't mean open-development. If you look for example at PySide project, they have released it when it was almost finished.
I know. But I've got the impression that they'll be also moving more in the open-development with Harmattan. We'll have to wait for an official Nokia employee to comment on that.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I know. But I've got the impression that they'll be also moving more in the open-development with Harmattan. We'll have to wait for an official Nokia employee to comment on that.
Yes, the plan is to have a much more open development process with Harmattan.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's a very fine line to walk... and often no good deed goes unpunished. I was a Nokia employee volunteering my time, and for the most part without incident, but the few times when it became an issue it was *almost* enough to drive me off. It's even tougher for those farther up the product stream.

However, CF raises some good points. It would be cool to see certain names highlighted, say, with icons identifying them as council members or, in the case of Peter and Quim, official Nokia representatives...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I'm a Nokian.

I think it would be a bit unfortunate to have a huge Nokia badge next to every message that I write here. Even though it's a cosmetic issue, for me it would make me feel more like a Nokia spokesperson and therefore probably less likely to make inane comments or random drivel (well, not that there wouldn't be some good from it also therefore), i.e. make me watch my words a lot more carefully.

It would also create this visible element of "us vs. them", and I'm not too sure about that also. But then again, if most people want this, then perhaps why not.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Is there any point of discussion for input on the hardware?

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
I think the last thing this place needs is an 'Us vs. Them' atmosphere. There are Nokians on this forum - if you frequent the place long enough, you will learn who they are. Their participation here is voluntary, and often on their own time (have you ever looked at the timestamps of some of their posts?!). We have venues as qgil pointed at at the start of this thread for official Nokia dialog. I think we can leave it at that. I certainly do not wear my work badge when boarding an airplane, nor would I want to.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I'm a Nokian.

I think it would be a bit unfortunate to have a huge Nokia badge next to every message that I write here. Even though it's a cosmetic issue, for me it would make me feel more like a Nokia spokesperson and therefore probably less likely to make inane comments or random drivel (well, not that there wouldn't be some good from it also therefore), i.e. make me watch my words a lot more carefully.

It would also create this visible element of "us vs. them", and I'm not too sure about that also. But then again, if most people want this, then perhaps why not.
When you put it that way, I'd rather you feel comfortable and welcome in the community without worry. Simply having that burden on you would probably keep you from posting more, further separating us. That's not what I want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post: