Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
Does everyone else with the MCE/alarmd problem use bootmenu and boot from SD?
I do not use bootmenu, just the default boot mode. I have the Comm.SSU installed, and ASUI. When I reboot, I need to restart MCE and all the other fiddling that's necessary. Is that what's meant by the "MCE/alarmd problem"?

Do you mean I can get around this by disabling alarmd? Other than setting an alarm (which I never do), is alarmd needed for anything?

Originally Posted by mcow View Post
I do not use bootmenu, just the default boot mode. I have the Comm.SSU installed, and ASUI. When I reboot, I need to restart MCE and all the other fiddling that's necessary. Is that what's meant by the "MCE/alarmd problem"?
The screen won't blank after booting until MCE is restarted. You don't have DT installed? We thought it was ASUI or DT causing the problem.

Originally Posted by mcow View Post
Do you mean I can get around this by disabling alarmd? Other than setting an alarm (which I never do), is alarmd needed for anything?
Yes, disabling alarmd fixes the problem. It is used by alarms set from statusbar clock, world clock, flipclock and any apps that set a task to run at a later time.

The Following User Says Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
Does everyone else with the MCE/alarmd problem use bootmenu and boot from SD?
I have DT installed, and I see the problem from time to time, but I am NOT booting from SD. I'm still using the normal boot.

Following up late here; I don't think I've been in this forum since February.

You don't have DT installed? We thought it was ASUI or DT causing the problem.
I do have DT installed.

I see that I have alarmd ("Alarm Dispatcher") disabled under ASUI Settings | Services. I still have to restart MCE on reboot, so the answer to my question in #121 is NO: disabling alarmd does not fix the MCE restart and related issues.

Anyway: the N800 has dropped to fourth place in my devices. I still use it as the remote controller to MediaMonkey on my PC, via Tear and a MM webserver extension that I wrote. Other than that, it gets no use: I bought an iPod nano; better than Canola in almost every way, except scrobbling.

And then three weeks ago, I bought a Galaxy Tab S (7") which is the tablet I now bring to work with me and use when I'm on the couch. I have to say, a vibrant software ecosystem is a lot more fun than dealing with "community" software. I mean, I very much appreciated ASUI, DT, and the CSSU, but they didn't quite solve all the problems and required lots of fiddling (such as the MCE restart, which actually takes three steps before the NIT is following my prefs).

The Tab isn't perfect but, essentially, It Just Works. WiFi management is much better; power management is much better; of course the CPU and graphics are more powerful; and it has apps. Many, many apps. Free ones that are much nicer than any software I had on the NIT.

But I wanted apps. Despite its potential, Canola was dead in the water. UPnP players were mediocre. Mail clients sucked. I am bidding adieu to the whole Maemo thing. Best of luck to you die-hards.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Quick question:

can I install the SSU when I boot from the internal SSD? Will installing the SSU affect my untouched vanilla boot from internal flash? What exactly gets changed by the SSU? The initfs?

Originally Posted by drautzburg View Post
can I install the SSU when I boot from the internal SSD?
Yes.

Will installing the SSU affect my untouched vanilla boot from internal flash?
Yes, because the kernel will be updated. It should be compatible though.

What exactly gets changed by the SSU? The initfs?
Kernel + some userland packages. The initfs is a big can of worms as we don't have licence to modify & redistribute bits of it (not even linuxrc!) and patching it in place can be tricky as space is limited and a lot of people have modified theirs (eg by installing various versions of bootmenu).

this is nokia symbin bell effeact pack video
http://youtu.be/wWshwXrZ8hE

is it possibel in cssu update ?

Most of these effects would require working GL drivers, so no.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
You can not imagine how really angry I am that nokia is not going on with this anymore.

Let's please keep this thread on topic, shall we?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:

Tags
diablo, maemo 4