So Nokia has announced the N9 will be the last MeeGo phone and the N950 will only be available to select developers. In the next few years I'll have to start looking for a replacement for the N900, but even switching to Android would be a big step back.

So the future of MeeGo is going to be hacking it onto other devices, probably devices that ship with Android. Does anyone who keeps up with these things know of any recent Android devices with hardware that could make it a worthy successor?

Of course few phones come with as much internal storage, but you can buy 64GB MicroSDs now so that's not such a big issue.

Why not look at the thread titled N9 or samsung galaxy sii? Which is at No1 in the "Acive topics" list?

Well that doesn't have a keyboard...clearly an N900 successor needs to have one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Well that doesn't have a keyboard...clearly an N900 successor needs to have one.
I clearly agree with that. One of my first request on a smartphone is a keyboard. I don't know I just can't get thru typing on a screen with my finger.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I hope that the attention of tinkerers and developers focuses on the samsung galaxy tab 7". I took one for me after some months playing with my wife's one, and I can witness it's very comfortable to use thanks to the form factor, which hits the sweet spot between portability and readability. Running a chrooted gnu-linux full distro is a breeze, since even I could do it
in the meantime Lardman et al. have been working on a native, non chrooted port of MeeGo, and once that is done I think that anything is doable.
And, it's quite cheap nowadays - I took mine for 300 Eur.

Update: Think I have found a worthy successor, the Motorola Droid 3:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Mot...DROID-3_id5305

Mostly the specs far exceed the N900s, apart from internal storage at only 16GB. BUT there's a big fat catch: The bootloader is locked.

Motorola has promised to unlock future bootloaders, maybe we'll hit pay dirt with the Droid 4.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
An unlocked bootloader + hardfp drivers for the pandaboard might make the Droid 3 a viable target, assuming there aren't more closed userspace blobs.

i would buy the droid 3 now immediately if it had an unlocked bootloader

too bad

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
No announced handsets that run MeeGo so far outside of the N9... I just find that incredibly odd.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Samsung galaxy Q. But then again it has tjat useless android os.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...