Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
Personally I vote for 1mm thinner!

Although, I'm not sure if having bare magnets on the backside will attract random metal objects nearby. Every once in a while you'd have to brush staple pins and paperclips off your pocket

Possibly a stupid idea:

Use some crazy glue to hold the magnet in place. This way the magnet is closer to the other-other half and the wood covers the whole back side (thus distancing magnets from attracting paperclips).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henque19 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Everytime I see the pics Dirk make, I think about starting a donation-campaign for a training course: The Basics of Photography

Ok - I know his assets are different ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
I really like idea of shaving off that .9mm, but I'm not sure about visible magnets. If the phone ever meets some metal dust, it's next to impossible cleaning off the magnets. Also magnets are (usually) quite fragile so I'd like to have something between them and the cruel world.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TemeV For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I know how bulky it is and how much that bulkiness changes in awkwardness when you use it in front of people.
Had I thought about that, I would have never bought a Jolla in the first place...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by Henque19 View Post
Possibly a stupid idea:
Yes that is a stupid idea. That will NOT last.
(category: things I have already thought of. very shortly.)

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Everytime I see the pics Dirk make, I think about starting a donation-campaign for a training course: The Basics of Photography
Feel free Is that course somewhere sunny with pretty ladies?

Some people will find it nice, some will find it okayish, and some will find it ugly.
Yes, welcome in my world! The infinite tug-of-war between thickness-weenies, functionality-oriented powerusers and people that like everything, as long as it is shiny and made by a fruit-company.

My personal opinion is this: this solution doesn't add or destroy functionality, reduces thickness and will make it less shiny. But I like to show off mechanical stuff, if it is well made and is functional. A well crafted hinge can really make me happy so to say.
But not everybody agrees to this and if there are people that do not want this, then fine, I'll stick to the original plan

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
That's too bad that opinions differ that much. I really don't like the wooden plate anyway (although I do like why it is optimal: it's thinner than the thinnest plastic wall), so I wouldn't mind if there were holes in it.

However, 0.9 mm, in addition to the 0.5 mm already shaved with the new magnets, is not negligible at all. I have a tohkbd1, I know how bulky it is and how much that bulkiness changes in awkwardness when you use it in front of people. Gaining 1.4 mm in thickness on a design already thinner than tohkb1, that would do a lot in "usability" of that keyboard. Being observed by people with awkward looks was one of the two main reasons why I didn't use tohkbd1.

Nothing says magnets would be ugly. It would just look like two metal parts that could be part of the chassis. Some people will find it nice, some will find it okayish, and some will find it ugly. Fair enough, but that's still an improvement in the design in my opinion, even though I admit the Kickstarter campaign was based on another prototype (which was still advertized as a prototype though).

For people in the latter category, magnets can be painted in black, or even better, covered by a 0.9 mm metal backplate the size of the keyboard for a full metal back, or covered by a glued 0.75 mm lastucase plate the size of the keyboard. Everybody would be happy and even those wanting a full lastucase backplate would shave 0.15 mm.
if you feel awkward, you can detach the kbd in front of people and use vkb (no idea how shiny that part will be itself without any wood), more worried about metallic dust though

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
Personally, I don't mind the keyboard being 1 mm thicker. I've owned an N900 for some years so... I prefer to have the magnets invisible...

But feel free to make it thinner, as long as it won't do any harm to functionality.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
I would prefer it thinner definately.

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Just say that slimmer is better IMHO.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
People who want to hide magnets, why not just getting a thinner design and sticking a 0.75 mm lastucase plate (or anything else) on it? Sure it would require an extra purchase, or perhaps Dirk could manage an arrangement with Lastucase to get two different plates (one full size to "cover" the whole part, one with holes for the magnets to be embedded in the plastic case, hence thinner keyboard part), but I'm not sure he can do that. It would allow everybody to have the final result they want, and everybody would benefit a thinner design (0.15 and 0.9 mm gains, respectively).

Originally Posted by rentze View Post
Had I thought about that, I would have never bought a Jolla in the first place...
Do you have tohkbd1? The level of awkwardness of a Jolla dramatically differs from the level of awkwardness of a Jolla with a custom-made and relatively large keyboard. A Jolla is not more awkward than a N900, and I think nobody had trouble using a N900 in public. Using a tohkbd is really different, so the thinner the better.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
if you feel awkward, you can detach the kbd in front of people and use vkb (no idea how shiny that part will be itself without any wood), more worried about metallic dust though
That's for sure, but it basically ruins the purpose of tohkbd2 if the only way to make it less conspicuous is to detach it.

Originally Posted by tiempjuuh View Post
Personally, I don't mind the keyboard being 1 mm thicker. I've owned an N900 for some years so... I prefer to have the magnets invisible...

But feel free to make it thinner, as long as it won't do any harm to functionality.
I've owned a N900 too and its form factor really makes thickness acceptable. It fits better in jean's pockets than a Jolla without custom OH. They are really different in size, and a 16 mm Jolla is really a lot bulkier than a 18 mm N900.

(I do prefer the N900 form factor by the way, much easier to use, carry and manipulate in my opinion, too bad smartphones' screens are getting larger and larger.)

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-11-11 at 17:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd