Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Not that any of us would change our maemo5 N900s for this new Symbian behemoth, but are Nokia serious about that price tag? The thing doesn't even have a portrait qwerty (yet) and don't even get me started on the lack of support for it come Christmas. Wow, that's a lot of dough to lay down for a walking-dead phone.

i'm so glad the launch was delayed. i had an e90 communicator and heard that this was the successor and looked into upgrading. i was dissapointed in the specs and so did some research and found the n900 which had been released a year ago. i came really close to making a really bad decision.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
First: Nokia E7 is for bussiness people not N900 people.

Its NOT a media/computer handset or "Android killer"

Bussiness people prefer this probadly cause it has powerpoint/office etc.. They dont give a **** about flashsupport or "cool stuff".

Pricetag is probadly high cause people who buys this will not upgrade phone for several years. Too me the HW is far more better than most Androids phones today. Better keyboard, better screen etc.. far better standbytime than android/Iphone/maemo.

To me not even WP7 is for this "bussines people". So too me its abvious this phone canb success in bussiness segment. If not Elop scares allö bussiness people away by to much WP7 talk.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-03-08 at 20:07.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
First: Nokia E7 is for bussiness people
I signed on just to refute that, sold my N900 a while ago for a far more supported phone, but I thought this was interesting.

While the E7 is primarily targeted toward business use, I don't think it is. I mean, what makes it a business phone, really? Same OS as it's other latest phones, the undercapable Symbian 3. Same basic features, same connectivity, etc etc. Where's the business part? I mean, even if it had a built in office suite, my phone and many others have that and they're certainly not business phones.

If you want to compete in the market as a smartphone manufacturer, you can't have business phones and feature/consumer phones. You have to have a league of worthy smartphones, geared toward anyone and everyone who knows what a smartphone is capable of.

Not trying to "pick a fight" by any means, this is an online forum. Just figured I'd share the thought considering that although I no longer have my super terrific N900, this is still a great forum.

edit: had to fix some typoes.

Anyway, to chime in on the rest. Although you don't often upgrade business phones, that just justify a ridiculously high price point. And sure it has great hardware, believe me, I totally agree. But my Desire Z (just as an example) cost far less and although the phone doesn't have the greatest build quality, about half of it is brushed aluminium and the phone itself is very sturdy. I also have a great office 2010 suite as well as flash support, a decent app store, S-LCD display which is pretty nice and low power consumption, etc etc.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-03-09 at 02:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
That awesome four row keyboard speaks business.
The familiar symbian user interface " "
The nice battery life " "
The WCDMA 850/900/1700/1900/2100 " "
The muted brushed aluminum look " "

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
I signed on just to refute that, sold my N900 a while ago for a far more supported phone, but I thought this was interesting.

While the E7 is primarily targeted toward business use, I don't think it is. I mean, what makes it a business phone, really? Same OS as it's other latest phones, the undercapable Symbian 3. Same basic features, same connectivity, etc etc. Where's the business part? I mean, even if it had a built in office suite, my phone and many others have that and they're certainly not business phones.

If you want to compete in the market as a smartphone manufacturer, you can't have business phones and feature/consumer phones. You have to have a league of worthy smartphones, geared toward anyone and everyone who knows what a smartphone is capable of.

Not trying to "pick a fight" by any means, this is an online forum. Just figured I'd share the thought considering that although I no longer have my super terrific N900, this is still a great forum.

edit: had to fix some typoes.

Anyway, to chime in on the rest. Although you don't often upgrade business phones, that just justify a ridiculously high price point. And sure it has great hardware, believe me, I totally agree. But my Desire Z (just as an example) cost far less and although the phone doesn't have the greatest build quality, about half of it is brushed aluminium and the phone itself is very sturdy. I also have a great office 2010 suite as well as flash support, a decent app store, S-LCD display which is pretty nice and low power consumption, etc etc.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Office integration, Exchange support, Aluminium finish, 4-row keyboard, 4" AMOLED screen, Good talk & standby times, Pentaband support. I would say for a business user/traveler, the price might be worth it. [The prices will also go down in the coming months.]

Btw, I see the price as $679 at Amazon!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 291 | Thanked: 398 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ USA
I'll pay $740 if it has maemo on it. The HW design is nice but not sure about symbian 3 OS, $740 is way too high IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to khuong For This Useful Post:
can't you hear it? nokia is quietly saying stop buying our products. don't let microsoft win.

The e7 will have full flash in a update this or next month the n8 also. I think i will be getting one. I have a n8 and love it i also love my n900 but not having to wait 30 mins for mail and good battery life is a plus for me.

Last edited by law138; 2011-03-09 at 05:08.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
almost 3 quarters of a thousand bucks for a dead end phone?

sure.. why not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: