Notices

MattZTexasu - Excellent!

namtastic - If that's the "experimental" naming, it seems to work fine but it still creates folders in the md5 style. Really only players that base a library view on ID3 tags can deal with this, e.g. the OS2008 built in player. If navigating to the folder is necessary, figuring out which one isn't really possible as far as I can see. I am late to this party though so I may be uninformed... It feels like some of the syncing stuff might work around this issue but haven't had time to play. With the recent improvements in the gPodder interface speed, using the Play buttons in the feed views is no real hardship.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Great app! Is it possible to add in the time-stretching feature -- to play faster or slower without chipmunk effect? There are libraries like rubberband, soundtouch, scaletempo etc. This would be a Great feature addon, not found in any maemo apps yet!

Originally Posted by onion_cfe View Post
MattZTexasu - Excellent!

namtastic - If that's the "experimental" naming, it seems to work fine but it still creates folders in the md5 style. Really only players that base a library view on ID3 tags can deal with this, e.g. the OS2008 built in player. If navigating to the folder is necessary, figuring out which one isn't really possible as far as I can see. I am late to this party though so I may be uninformed... It feels like some of the syncing stuff might work around this issue but haven't had time to play. With the recent improvements in the gPodder interface speed, using the Play buttons in the feed views is no real hardship.
This will be fixed eventually, Thomas has already written a patch that creates normal directory names and is available in my testing packages.

Also, panucci now supports queueing so you could simply queue a bunch of tracks using gPodder then not have to worry about keeping gPodder open to choose another podcast.

For this to work you need to set the gPodder player command to "panucci --queue" and obviously be using the most recent trunk version of panucci. A deb is available here, but I must warn you that this is beta-quality code. If you do try it and find bugs please report them to the bug tracker.

Originally Posted by pton View Post
Great app! Is it possible to add in the time-stretching feature -- to play faster or slower without chipmunk effect? There are libraries like rubberband, soundtouch, scaletempo etc. This would be a Great feature addon, not found in any maemo apps yet!
Scaletempo looks like the best option seeing as they have a gstreamer plugin. I got the plugin and the demo program to cross-compile perfectly but the plugin doesn't seem to work on maemo...

Please file a feature request and I'll try to figure this one out eventually.

The Following User Says Thank You to nikosapi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nikosapi View Post
Scaletempo looks like the best option seeing as they have a gstreamer plugin. I got the plugin and the demo program to cross-compile perfectly but the plugin doesn't seem to work on maemo...

Until that, here is a tutorial for how to do it with the help of soundstretch and the post-download script hook:

http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Time_stretching

(you probably don't want this on your tablet, but on the Desktop version, though)

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by onion_cfe View Post
If that's the "experimental" naming, it seems to work fine but it still creates folders in the md5 style. Really only players that base a library view on ID3 tags can deal with this, e.g. the OS2008 built in player. If navigating to the folder is necessary, figuring out which one isn't really possible as far as I can see. I am late to this party though so I may be uninformed... It feels like some of the syncing stuff might work around this issue but haven't had time to play. With the recent improvements in the gPodder interface speed, using the Play buttons in the feed views is no real hardship.
As nikosapi already pointed out, this is a thing we are working on. But we want to get it as stable as possible. Reasons for this can be read in the gPodder Wiki (in the FAQs) and described in the Linux Outlaws 67 Interview.

You can find out more about the progress on this feature by following its progress on:

http://bugs.gpodder.org/show_bug.cgi?id=57

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Originally Posted by nikosapi View Post

Done (@ https://garage.maemo.org), thank you! I anxiously look forward to this new feature add-on

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
I really appreciate the effort to create a proper audiobook player as I have been through a lot of audiobooks in the last few years. I normally use PoketTunes on my Palm Zire 71 and have been looking forward to being able to use the N800 to listen. Alas not yet.
Since an audiobook is often more than 20 hours long, I will sometimes spend a month or so listening to one book. When I use Audible or Pocket Tunes I simply turn on the application and press play. I really do not want to load the same file every time I open the player. With Panucci I have to navigate to the file I want to play every time I start listening. Unless of course I leave Panucci running all the time, which I am sure will not be good for battery life.
The Bookmark feature leaves me puzzled since they disappear when you turn off the application. What is the intended use of this feature?
The advantage of breaking up long audiobooks into small segments becomes very obvious once you lose your place and have to find it again. Not being able to use playlists or automatically play all files in a directory is a definite drawback.
I will gladly pay for a functioning audiobook player, but as Panucci stands it is very unlikely that I would ever use it.

Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
I will gladly pay for a functioning audiobook player, but as Panucci stands it is very unlikely that I would ever use it.
More likely than you think...

The latest SVN addresses all of your issues.
  • Panucci resumes the last file played upon opening.
  • The bookmarks screen will show bookmarks for every file, not just the one currently loaded ( if it doesn't do this already, it will.)
  • It supports m3u playlists now. (queuing files and managing playlists is on the roadmap)

I had the same wish list, and I was going to contribute the code changes myself; but nikosapi was able to do it without my help

Last edited by MattZTexasu; 2008-12-16 at 22:50.

i can't seem to get it working right. after installing and re-installing for a number of times i tried launching from terminal and got an error reading:

AttributeError: 'module' object has not attribute 'VolumeButton'

What is weird is that it starts up for like a half/quarter-second and then dies. any guesses as to this issue?

thanks!

Last edited by thejsn; 2009-01-22 at 07:12.

Tags
barbiestrsand