Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Don't remember lf rockchip has been mentioned, but because vgrade has got a new toy rk3188 mentioned on twitter I got to check it and realized that rockchip is a Chinese company and also has mobile SoC. start made me think maybe its Jollaphone has some kind on rk3xxx chip?

http://liliputing.com/2013/01/rockch...f-of-2013.html

http://www.rock-chips.com/index.php?lang=en
Yes someone's mentioned it already IIRC, it's a possibility.
Possibly based on their dual core version mentioned here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip#RK31xx_series

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
and indeed there is a possibility for fully free on mobile

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/...mobile-devices
I really doubt thats even possible, many hw manufactors does not even give out full techspec for theyr hw that makes it impossible write open drivers!

Now thats why libhybris exists... Because even if Canonical/Jolla want native Linux drivers they can't write them and instead have to use closed Android drivers. Remember that open plasmatablet? how much problem they got with hwmanufactor...

Especially all those new asian companys are bad on writing techspec.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-28 at 07:33.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Is it 100% confirmed that jolla won't can/will release a real qwerty as other side?

Can the OS run in landscape med atm, otherwise it's an indication that no keyboard is imminent.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Yes someone's mentioned it already IIRC, it's a possibility.
Possibly based on their dual core version mentioned here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip#RK31xx_series
My guess is then 3066 with Mail400(means will probadly depend on libhybris) or 3168 with PowerVR(SGX no need for libhybris AFAIK)

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Can the OS run in landscape med atm, otherwise it's an indication that no keyboard is imminent.
They said at one point that their focus is on portrait, which is a pretty good indicator what their immediate interest (at least) is. That doesn't mean they won't eventually focus much more on landscape, or make it easier for others, or that Nemo won't focus on it. It doesn't make much sense for it to be a priority right now, given that they're clearly launching w/a slate device. But who knows what'll happen not too long after launch, especially if the "Other Halves" are not just NFC triggered sw auto-runs, & can also do hw augmentation in which Jolla releases their own "Others Halves", or does so with partners. (But the latest speculation is that "true hw augmentation" is probably unlikely)

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-29 at 02:29.

for anybody who cares about X11 , i had a chat with stskeeps on irc and he pointed out that xwayland and xmir don't support opengl/egl. how many apps that affects i don't know. things like openscad are affected for sure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marbleuser For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Is it 100% confirmed that jolla won't can/will release a real qwerty as other side?

i thought that there was no landscspe mode, but someone corrected me and pointed out that the alpha sdk has support for landscape mode. maybe someone can confirm this is still the case for the beta sdk?

It has landscape support, they just won't use it in many apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Landscape mode is essential for the browser and e-reader for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Yep, which is what I was getting at by saying "it's not their focus"...
There's always some apps that naturally work better in landscape, so it makes sense to have a basic lvl of support.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-07-29 at 02:31.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open