Notices

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by Boemien View Post
Hahaha! Choose between apps/Games and Music/videos....
If I were to choose between Maemo 5 and apps/Games, I would choose apps/Games. Screw you Maemo 5!
I'm just joking, please don't sue me for such stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Well we have seen it run on Maemo5 so even if they only release it on Meego, I think we could get it to run on Maemo5. Also since they are using a N900 I hope they understand this community and understand they might as well release it for Maemo5 its going to happen with them or without them.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Haha.. I love the sudden enthusiasm for something related to Android...

So I guess APK/DalvikVM portability is good afterall, nay?

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Nowhere says this is going to be available to the general public.

(And the probable reason is that they know it is usually a comercial suicidal... just look at the preenv thread... )
I'm trying to get more information about how this application is to be used and distributed but being behind a work filter isn't helping. Ive seen it reported that this is a FOSS project, others say commercial. Is it an app that runs a repackaged Android application, or is it a porting tool for the application developers? I mean, some commerical tools like Pyxis cost large sums of money for a license.. I can't imagine many Android developers paying $120,000 for a license so they could repackage their code to run on Maemo5. Is it something available to everyone to run from the PC at home?

I think there's a lot of details we need to wait for before getting too excited about this project.

Let's say it's free and available to the home user to repackage Android applications and upload them to their N900. That's great for us, but it's an interesting problem for Nokia too. Do Nokia want it's users purchasing and using Android applications for their handset? Not only would Google be picking up a cut of anything through the Android Market, but what incentive does it give to developers to list their apps for sale through Ovi? Nokia want to be selling these applications and services to us directly.

Anyhow if anyone has more info on how Alien Dalvik is planned to be distibuted and sold/used under license please post - else we'll have to wait til Feb 14th and see I guess

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-02-08 at 13:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
3D Android games are generally developed with the Android NDK, and as such are coded in C/C++ and not Java. If Alien Dalvik includes support for the NDK, you'll get 3D games as well, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
its about time nokia pay for their mistakes concerning the n900.its going to bite them in the a*** just because they abandoned this wonderful phone.lets hope that this app will be available commercially.now if nokia does something to bury this project i will be pissed!

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
MeeGoid ?

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Already posted this on other forum, but I'll post it here too.. have been itching to get this off my chest.

I'm impressed if it works half as well as Myriad claims it does. To this date I haven't really seen solutions that transparently and flawlessly run applications from other OS's unless the applications themselves were originally written to be cross platform.

I can also find videos of Windows applications running just fine on Linux with Wine which doesn't mean they don't have to maintain a mile long compatibility list with a myriad (pun intended) of compatibility levels ranging from "hey, perfect" to "works if you tinker hard enough" to "can kind of use it if you're crazy enough" to "no go".

And to me personally seamless integration means a bit more than that I can launch it like a native application. It includes things like look and feel, hooks to platform specific services like unified accounts management etc., hooks to OEM specific stuff like Ovi Store or Maps etc. and stuff like that.

I'm hoping we'd see the space evolving to a more integrated experiences like Maemo's unified messaging, MeeGo's unified account management, or application extensions/plugins, Nokia Social etc. IMHO there's so much unused potential in this area and I'd rather see that potential realized instead of just a flood of thousands and thousands of stand-alone applications I'm not likely to ever use.

That said, I'm not meaning to rain on anyones parade, I'm just advising caution with expectations wrt. Myriad. There's a lot between "all works great" and "it doesn't work at all".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
No android device supports ALL apps, and I seriously doubt it would be the case here.

It's a subtlety, but apps coded using the NDK are not portable like the Dalvik ones, and are limited to the architecture they were compiled for. I also do not see mention of the NDK support in the Myriad literature, though I suspect it wouldn't be hard to implement.

I think it's safe to say that *most* apps will work (thanks to Dalvik's portability), which is a huge plus for the Maemo/MeeGo community.

Now if only someone would return the favour, and create an environment in Android in which MeeGo apps could run!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That's the obvious outcome.

Google and their OEM partners will avoid that (MeeGo supremacy) by positively differentiating Android based products.

Don't underestimate them.
On the flip side, I'm not sure that officially supporting Android binaries in MeeGo would be a good tactical decision. Based on the popularity of Android, I forsee developers forgoing MeeGo entirely and concentrating on the larger market, thus subverting QT development further.

If it is about differentiation as a source of attraction, Android on MeeGo would make a MeeGo device just another Android device.

Tags
2014 no dalvik, android, dalvik, its christmas!, java vm, just shoot me, maemo, meegdroid, meego