Poll: Are you getting a Pandora console?
Poll Options
Are you getting a Pandora console?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
I just ordered my pandora, all my reasons for wanting one have been mentioned.

Things I wonder about:
how pocketable it is, it's about 1cm thicker than my N770 (which it will replace, the n770 will be reduced to being the living room hifi remote, and then some) and likely a bit heaver due to the big battery.
It's about as pocketable as my N800 with its PDAir leather case. It probably won't fit in a shirt pocket unless you're oversizing, but other than that it's cool.

I would love to see a Maemo Mapper equivalent app, vncviewer (which will happen for sure) a good audio/video player (including ogg) and FBreader. And FF3.
Anything else (which is a big fat lot) is, to me, bonus.
VLC player or Mplayer is likely to come preloaded, as is Firefox3. The rest depends on how good your nagging towards developers is.

I'd suggest you visit the Pandora forums and see if any of your wishes have been granted.

I haven't looked around, but how's the bluetooth support for it? Trying to decide if I'll keep with the Nokia and go to the n900 or switch to Pandora.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
Bluetooth will be done by the Bluez Stack I suppose and Nokia contributed a lot to it recently (A2DP ...)

I would love to see a Maemo Mapper equivalent app, vncviewer (which will happen for sure) a good audio/video player (including ogg) and FBreader. And FF3.
Anything else (which is a big fat lot) is, to me, bonus.
VLC player or Mplayer is likely to come preloaded, as is Firefox3. The rest depends on how good your nagging towards developers is.
Assuming it comes with some Angstrom conf files, I'll start building stuff from the OE metadata, so Firefox (or one of the lightweight versions) will be there, mplayer is in there, VLC might be (I can't remember). The Hildon modifications aren't very large so presumably maemo-mapper can be built for a simple GTK+ environment (assuming it's not already able to do so).

Trying to decide if I'll keep with the Nokia and go to the n900 or switch to Pandora.
I've ordered a Pandora to play around with, but I think I'd prefer the Nokia device (not that I've seen it yet, but from past experience) as a day-to-day device. I'll use the Pandora for hacking on (with a view to moving developed code to the N900 I should add - DSP stuff for example)

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Shame I can't afford one, they have piqued my interest greatly.

Well I also have two 16 GB SDHC cards, so if the next Nokia device doesn't have support for them..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm so glad they sold out. I was being tortured by the Pandora. Now I can finally relax; I can't buy one!

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'm so glad they sold out. I was being tortured by the Pandora. Now I can finally relax; I can't buy one!

I was considering to buy one as gift... but...

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I've ordered a Pandora to play around with, but I think I'd prefer the Nokia device (not that I've seen it yet, but from past experience) as a day-to-day device. I'll use the Pandora for hacking on (with a view to moving developed code to the N900 I should add - DSP stuff for example)
I love my 810 and I can't wait to see the next device. Even with the horrible camera and video, I use it everyday, to talk to my wife I love the size of my 810 and I can't imagine carrying anything bigger.

That said, I carry around a usb/wifi Logitech game controller in my laptop bag, so I can play on my 810. Well I love having KDE or a real Window Manager environment in my hand, its a hack until Nokia does it, or someone besides me. Debian project is promising but not there yet. I am thinking my Pandora console will be used for gaming, and work . While I will keep my 810 for GPS, Live Video, and home use.

While I love my 810, I want a computer in my hand. I want to install a printer package, not compile one, I want to install KDE not compile it. I want MOST linux apps to just work if I do have to compile them. I am not a developer, nor do I want to be. I also don't want to have to wait for developers. I waited a year before taking things into my own hands.

I give Nokia a lot of credit, they have given us of some cool hardware to play with. They have been very open, they have not tried to keep us locked out.

I am very interested in Pandora, it seems to be the first real competition to Nokia tablets, at least to me.

I am still waiting for someone to give me 1024x600
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
While I am sure you made the right decision, I knew I would be regretting it when everyone got theirs and posting reviews. Once I saw Fanoush bought one, I was in
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Tags
pandora