Closed Thread
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Right-- isn't that what I summarized?
I just want to be as transparent as possible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
OK, I doesn't want to sound like negatron, neither I'm Council member, but, probably, someone must be first to say that...

Texrat, while overall idea of catalyzing useful discussion sounds OK, I don't like idea of handling (even single) device from "Community Awards" pool (awards from major contributions to Community) to "random comment lottery". It just isn't right - we'll take device from hypothetical least lucky person, who contributed something *great* for Community over long period of time, and give it to randomly chosen commenter in Your blog/site/whatever? Of course I acknowledged, that spam/unrelated comments won't count in lottery, but still...

Don't get me wrong again - I'm perfectly sure that Your intentions are clear and good, and I'm not suggesting, that anything "malicious" is going on. It just seems to me, that it isn't justified to give device away in such... Well, way, and I don't see any benefits for the Community, *after* such random person receive device.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Protests duly noted, already expected before I suggested this idea, and fully understood.

Again, however, my goal was to expand awareness and generate new interest. I don't expect this community to necessarily get behind that as much as I would, say, Nokia marketing.

Sadly, I'm betting I could obtain a Lumia 800 far, far more easily than a Nokia device from the Qt side of things... and that defeats the purpose.

Ah well. Waiting for current or next council to chime in and kill it officially.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I don't see any benefits for the Community, *after* such random person receive device.

/Estel
You're looking for the benefit in the wrong place.

Last edited by Texrat; 2012-05-04 at 14:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Hi, a question to the counciI.

I was wondering if there has been a follow up action on this particular item: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=59 ?
Is there currently a council member who's got the ins and outs on this subject?

The current package in the repos is still the original from laasonen.

n900user259

Last edited by n900user259; 2012-05-04 at 14:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900user259 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I just skimmed through the EazyList thread and I thought why not have a community webserver for cloud apps. It could be run by the council, on the existing infrastructure, allow for say 512mb of apace for each app that needs it. So we don't have to put extra burden to free app developers, and provide a somewhat secure place for storing cloud data. This would also alleviate some concerns about privacy.

We have to discuss some rules of course about how the data is stored, if encryption is mandatory, who has access etc. but I think it would enable more quality connected applications.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I just skimmed through the EazyList thread and I thought why not have a community webserver for cloud apps. It could be run by the council, on the existing infrastructure, allow for say 512mb of apace for each app that needs it. So we don't have to put extra burden to free app developers, and provide a somewhat secure place for storing cloud data. This would also alleviate some concerns about privacy.
my 1st thought was... «512 MBs :-o ... most Maemo apps are in the "few MB" range, who on earth would need 512 for one app ?!? »
then i went on to [Announce] EasyList for N9/N950 and thought...
«512 for one app, huh??? 1st come, 1st served or...»
i wonder whether the Community has the ressources (i.e. storage space) for cloud storage;
shouldn't we leave this to big players like Google & Co who can afford to offer 10GB for free to each subscriber & can sell 10s or 100s of GB if wished?
or... do you have a new business plan for Maemo.org?

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
[...]if encryption is mandatory[...]
then again, who would care?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Question. What will happen if I enter talk.maemo.org in my browser the first of Jan 2013?

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Question. What will happen if I enter talk.maemo.org in my browser the first of Jan 2013?
I would expect it to load a page showing a desirable Nokia device with a desirable os.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vilva For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Don't You know, that world ends in 2012?

Seriously though, it was answered zillion times before, that Nokia's financial plans for post-31-December-2012 will be announced approximately 6 months before, i.e. in summer. In case of any acoelopcalypse, we will have time to react. But, mind You. it's much unlikely to happen now. In my personal opinion, less than 5% of risk.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
So Elop&co have not made up the minds yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council