Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
OMG that sounds so easy!
That's where the "preaching" part comes in. May or may not work, depends on your oratory skill, and how you present it.

Because hey, there is no such thing as free marketing, especially not as in free beer, and for that you can forget anything about "quality" and "what people want". But word of mouth is the closest you'll get.

In the end, effectiveness of it still boils down to the same thing, understanding non techie people, agreed.

Edit:
And I could care of kitchen appliances, regarding the conditions of production, and quality of use (proprietary maintenance and all), aso, but I cannot find any forum on the topic

but I see what you mean : )

Last edited by erendorn; 2011-06-17 at 09:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Which the iPad is, without a doubt. Tablets were considered a failed experiment, until Apple came out with theirs. Now the market is being flooded with new tablets, which follow the same formula. If that is not market disrupting, then I don't know what else is.
actually making a tablet that moves tablets alltogether from disruptive cliché into sellable mass market items isn't called disruptive.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
That's where the "preaching" part comes in. May or may not work, depends on your oratory skill, and how you present it.
Most people I know hate to be preached at...

but I see what you mean : )
My point was that most people that are clueless toward maemo/linux/foss are probably just not interested. Not stupid people that can be 'educated' with a page of pdf and 5 minutes of their time. God forbid you point them toward a wiki about GNUs somewhere.

So you can preach all you want, but they may not want to hear you at all... unless you can somehow align your interests with them. Yep, there goes another bizspeak catchphrase that the consultants love.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
so..... whats an n9?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
so..... whats an n9?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N9

My money is on "a road connecting Brussels and Ostend, passing Aalst, Ghent, Eeklo and Bruges".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N9

My money is on "a road connecting Brussels and Ostend, passing Aalst, Ghent, Eeklo and Bruges".
all along I thought it was a motorbike

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Most people I know hate to be preached at...
Moreover, there are about a million and three things more worthy to be preached about, like:

- Don't eat meat.
- Don't waste energy (i.e. turn off those devices already!)
- Don't produce toxic waste (i.e. don't even buy those devices!)
- Don't buy products manufactured in countries not respecting human rights (i.e. most technical gadgets)
- Donate.
- Volunteer.
- Don't consume processed sugars.
- Don't stay inside browsing the web, it's not good for you in the long run!

I do not think that a majority of Open Source zealots appreciates this kind of preaching.

In the end we decide that we need to compromise to live meaningful and satisfying lives, so we pick our battles carefully.

"Don't use devices with closed source drivers" is not going to be high on most people's list of battles to fight, and that is for rather good reasons.

déjà vu?

was looking for infos about LG's smart phones (by lack of any useful information about LG & MeeGo...) and came across a bit of history...
Bacelona Mobile World Congress (February) 2009;
LG & m$ just inked an agreement following which LG would have up to 50 (smart-)phones running m$ OS in 2012...

of course, history doesn't repeat itself, it only stutters, but...

Average costumer doesn't give a crap about open source or not, as long as "it just works"
And i hope N9 IS for average users, because else there is no future for maemo. It will be another n900, i don't want to spend my money (and im sure it will cost a lot) to have a device NOKIA doesn't care about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N9Us For This Useful Post:
Posts: 181 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bahrain
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
This contemptous and blind attitude towards competition that is literally kicking your *** in the market place is what ensures that FOSS mobile devices will never gain traction.

You are a cause of the disease, not its cure.
its not the blind attitude, its the proven fact and truth. I must say it is a brilliant gadget, but only a fool will take it after they've used symbian, maemo or android, power users know that iCrap has no use to them, unless you want a useless fart app to get yourself satisfied....
cant you see, they arent doing any innovative thing, its all about developers, they dont have anything useful..they rely on apps and nothing else..heck you cant even use properly for calling someone, coz "you're holding it wrong"

on a serious note, i'd wait months for something rather than being told that im wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alee For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland