Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

But Tomi still hasn't understood what the "next billion" is about, and that is disappointing. Instead he uses it to bash Elop, when this clearly is Nokias main strategy forward, and what is going to save this burning platform.
So, Tomi hasn't understood what the next billion is about? Hmm, care to explain? I think he understands, but do you?

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
This whole mess is a classic collection of corporate mistakes and misjudgments and has been done before, just not all by the same man, at the same time, and with such a dramatic effect. In years to come there will be documentaries and books about Nokia's 2011.

The whole Feb 11 thing was a classic "Osbourne" moment where he told the world that the existing products were crap and dead, and to wait a year for the new ones.

It is now morphing into a New CocaCola moment, where Nokia are starting to backpedal furiously to repair and undo the damage.

I don't think we will see any big statement, just plenty of new products which are not WP, and subtle changes in policy and direction, like the increase in life for Symbian.

It's like watching a massively long episode of The Apprentice....

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
ok then, no contradictions! The writer takes poor Elops phrases out of well funded fact based PR messages and uses it to make his point about what exactly?

Maybe there were no WMD's in Irak but the world is a better place with Saddam removed. (Blair)

ok, the platform was not burning that much but WP7 was the better choice for Nokia shareholders after all (...)

its must be this platform rubbish and his 'leaked' video of Seagull WP7 to 'make no mistake guys WP7 it shall be' then that makes him such an Elop?
I really don't know how to respond to this. Did you not have a point to make, or are you just unable to articulate it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by keflex View Post
I really don't know how to respond to this. Did you not have a point to make, or are you just unable to articulate it?
No need to respond. I agreed with the "no contradictions". You did not read that?

The rest was meant to entertain those people that smell something corpoliticaly fishy going on.

Ok, maybe we should get that guy in here. That was some massive rant, far bigger than any I've seem in these forums. Would someone extend him an invitation?

So, in a less tongue-in-cheek tone:

I think he takes circunstanticial evidence as well as out-of-context declarations, and spins them into a great number of phallacies. He might have gotten a few points right, maybe the Skype-M$ deal really did screw any chances the No-Win (Nokia-Windows) alliance might have had (which were not that good, anyways) of succeeding to any degree of acceptability... But otherwise, it's just an epic rant. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy is watching these forum, popcorn and beer in hand.

The one thing I think he got right is the whole Elop animosity. Dudes, seriously... Who would be so crazy as to hire him after Nokia's Eflop stint? I'm not seeing many career opportunities for him after that one...

Or maybe I'm just displaying how clueless about the corporate world I am. But I imagine that hiring Eflop from now on will result in instant share-tanking.

Last edited by number41; 2011-06-25 at 06:48.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
So, Tomi hasn't understood what the next billion is about? Hmm, care to explain? I think he understands, but do you?
By Tomi:
And most of all, for any Microsoft delusions of a future - Nokia has now committed to one billion - thats billion with a B - new Qt devices. Qt is either Symbian, or MeeGo (or Ballm,er get this - Android) but categorically Qt is not Microsoft.
Ok, this is a bit speculative, but what we know is:
Qt and the N9 interface will be a key part of "the next billion". The core OS will not be MeeGo.

And the speculative part:
The consensus is that the core OS will be Nokia OS (the "thing" that now runs S40, whatever that actually is). We know that S40 is capable of multitasking, but it is of no practical use on current devices due to memory and CPU constraints. What we get is a platform similar to Bada, mean and lean and fast (like nothing you Linux geeks would believe), but with Qt. The other possibility is a Symbian core, but for this to be efficient regarding transition to new hardware, it requires major overhaul of the OS. Qt on Symbian still does not work properly, and it has been a nightmare for Nokia due to the messy state Symbian is/was in. It could be that things really have been cleaned up, I don't know. The third possibility is a commercial core OS, there are several to chose from.

My bet is S40, then a commercial core, then Symbian. But the latest announcement with 10 new Symbian devices could mean that it would in fact be Symbian, and that would please me if for no other reasons than sentimental reasons.

By Tomi:

Ok, this is a bit speculative, but what we know is:
Qt and the N9 interface will be a key part of "the next billion". The core OS will not be MeeGo.

And the speculative part:
The consensus is that the core OS will be Nokia OS (the "thing" that now runs S40, whatever that actually is). We know that S40 is capable of multitasking, but it is of no practical use on current devices due to memory and CPU constraints. What we get is a platform similar to Bada, mean and lean and fast (like nothing you Linux geeks would believe), but with Qt. The other possibility is a Symbian core, but for this to be efficient regarding transition to new hardware, it requires major overhaul of the OS. Qt on Symbian still does not work properly, and it has been a nightmare for Nokia due to the messy state Symbian is/was in. It could be that things really have been cleaned up, I don't know. The third possibility is a commercial core OS, there are several to chose from.

My bet is S40, then a commercial core, then Symbian. But the latest announcement with 10 new Symbian devices could mean that it would in fact be Symbian, and that would please me if for no other reasons than sentimental reasons.
What's the point? Even if that strategy does indeed make sales skyrocket, we still get a dumbphone that's lean, mean, fast and... Well, dumb, therefore completely useless to this community.

We already have plenty of shiny, sleek phones out there. It Nokia decides to dump the one sorta open one, we all stand to lose.

I did like my 9500 and the N95 I had... They still feel like a child's toy in comparison to the N900. If that's the future, I can only say it sucks, and even if the company profits from it (I'm not a Nokia shareholder, I'm not too concerned for its financial well-being), we all lose.

Last edited by number41; 2011-06-25 at 07:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Maybe this has been posted here already (although I couldn't find it) but our dear mobile gossip-king Eldar is saying that someone tipped him that Elop is under investigation by Nokia board about his behaviour with leaking:

"Pure rumour. I havent 2nd confirmation. Nokia board ask (or start?) internal investigation about Stephen Elop steps in role of Nokia CEO.

"The reason of internal investigation possible manipulation (N9 and WP7 device leak). If anyone have some info, plz share. Tnx in advance..."

https://twitter.com/#!/eldarmurtazin...75394945097728

Could be completely bogus either from Eldar or from someone pranking him. But nevertheless pretty interesting in the light of thoughts expressed by Tomi Ahonen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pasih For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
What's the point? Even if that strategy does indeed make sales skyrocket, we still get a dumbphone that's lean, mean, fast and... Well, dumb, therefore completely useless to this community.
There is a larger world out there than this tiny community. It will be a smartphone, a phone with apps and whatnot, even full multitasking. But compared with the N900 just about everything is "dumb" to some degree, even though most people would call it "smart" to hide away all the technical clutter.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
There is a larger world out there than this tiny community. It will be a smartphone, a phone with apps and whatnot, even full multitasking. But compared with the N900 just about everything is "dumb" to some degree, even though most people would call it "smart" to hide away all the technical clutter.
My guess is that new "S40" will be like N9 but without possibility for tweaking. Swipe OS is so dead simple and works with 1 ghz hardware..

It's brilliant idea to use Qt and SwipeOS in order to make Nokia-Bada :-) However, It doesn't help us - early adopters, geeks etc. We want to install unstable alfa-level apps and have multiboots etc.

Tags
elop is nero, elopocalypse, king tomi, nero fiddling