Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Some people on both sides can't seem to see the forest for the trees. I fall kind of in the middle....
Lemmy, you hit the nail on the head to how I feel.

It's a great device to travel with and watch movies on long flights, use free wifi while overseas to avoid expensive roaming rates and to do some of the more geeky stuff which many other phones can't do. Great UI also and web browsing experience for a handheld device.

However, where it falls apart is the lack of support from Nokia, which the community have not been able to help because of closed source applications ie Video Call over 3G, Flash 10 - which as time goes by, web browsing with the n900 would become obselete.

If PR1.4 came up with the above solutions solve, I'd have a love-love relationship with my phone and consider marrying it...

As it stands, I have love-hate relationship with my n900.

Cheers,
Fred

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fffffred For This Useful Post:
Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
For me there is only one thing missing on N900 that you can guess by reading my status. That only thing could make me use even less apps I currently need.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
I love my N900 for all that it can do, but it can be frustrating at times. Sometimes, it rings, I pull it out, hit answer, and have a nice conversation. Other times, I miss the call because I'm trying to hit a moving target as the N900 flips between portrait and landscape. Other times, it doesn't even ring.
I get this a lot. Anyone has a good fix for this? Disable to touchscreen for call answering? What are the other touchscreen phones doing to solve this issue? (it should be inherent for all touchscreen devices, right?)

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I get this a lot. Anyone has a good fix for this? Disable to touchscreen for call answering? What are the other touchscreen phones doing to solve this issue? (it should be inherent for all touchscreen devices, right?)
Other touch screen phones use swipe to answer, even nokia`s symbian line uses that, nobody can fix it since the app is closed, and nokia has stopped supporting just a year after the phone was launched. Community support is really great for maemo but the semi closed state prevents them from fixing these killer bugs..

The Following User Says Thank You to vijayv For This Useful Post:
Well, a swipe makes sense...but still could be prone to mis-handle the call. I kinda still like the idea of a button to answer/close call.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
This has been around for awhile (use search!) but not so surprisingly on device that was build from bottom-up to be used in landscape only, setting phone app only in landscape mode tend to help little.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I love my N900 for all that it can do, but it can be frustrating at times. Sometimes, it rings, I pull it out, hit answer, and have a nice conversation. Other times, I miss the call because I'm trying to hit a moving target as the N900 flips between portrait and landscape. Other times, it doesn't even ring.
My suggestions to your list of probelms: permanently set your phone app in landscape mode as suggested above. Also, installing any contact/phone related apps would cause delay in answering; if you got some real impatient intimates/bosses/girlfriends/wife who can't wait for more than two rounds of ringing, remove those apps, or remove the relationship with these rushy dudes.

On the side note, if you found the screen go on and off during incoming calls that you'd probably need to check the proxmity sensor. Some protective screen would really block the sensor and cause it behave strangely.

For everyone who says how many apps the N900 has, think about how many times you've seen warnings on having testing or devel enabled. Enough to scare a normal user or even a slightly techy user away. Without those enabled, there are far fewer apps to install. Think about how many you'd have installed if you only used extras.
I think that's the merit of N900 rather than disadvantage. I don't think a normal user would care to install extras; If you're going for extras and beyond you definitely not a normal user; AND if you think you're a normal user that was scared by the warnings, you definitely not normal.

Many of the most annoying things about the N900 (for me) involve the closed Nokia apps for which there is no alternative, which makes it no better than (or possibly even worse than) iOS or android.
I miss layer as well. However, I fail to see how it's N900 or maemo's fault for not having the apps you wanted in other platforms. It must be you who choose the platform to use, not vice verse.

Personally, I think there were a lot of people that looked a specs, thought the N900 would be a great phone and got one. Or, saw it and figured it's a Nokia, so it can't be that bad. Let's face it, it's not a great phone, not even mediocre. It's so much more than just a phone. IMO Nokia really dropped the ball with support and focusing on MeeGo (which looks to me like it will be incredibly slow getting out of the blocks). So, many people came in with high expectations, and were disappointed, and as such have some "hate".
Again, it's hardly an excuse to hate a phone simply because it fails your expectations. It is you who set the expectations, am I correct?

As to Nokia, I wondered what expectation others would put onto it. I always think their phones are bulky, heavy and overpriced. I've always been dreaming of someone making phone like N900, and I didn't expect Nokia made it first, but really they did.

So N900 may not be the reason I'd hate Nokia, but it'd definitely the reason I stop hating them.

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Folks; it should be portrait mode right?

(instead of permanently set your phone app in landscape mode)

I think portrait is more phone like-ness. Any advantage of having it in landscape mode?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Folks; it should be portrait mode right?

(instead of permanently set your phone app in landscape mode)
I meant to say landscape mode.

Please look at #56 on the delay problem in flipping modes.

I think portrait is more phone like-ness. Any advantage of having it in landscape mode?
N900 is not (just) a phone. It's a pocket-size tablet-computer.

Last edited by 9000; 2011-02-07 at 09:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Sherlock, I presume?

At least one pretty obvious advantage is..*drum roll*..no need to rotate screen. *Woohooo*

Last edited by slender; 2011-02-07 at 13:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest