Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
"What I'm trying to say is, if there is nowhere else to go....will the community stick with what they know?"

I don't think so. There was a future-oriented aspect that no longer seems pertinent. Developers will want to feel like they're catching the next wave, or at least staying current. I'm not a developer; and I haven't progressed beyond the N8x0 series. Maemo got as far as step X-1 of a promised X steps to a polished consumer device. I was waiting for such a device. It apparently won't be from Nokia, and I won't be here much or at all anymore. Most others will move on, too.
Still playing devil's advocate here... but didn't the folks (it's still there, but bear with me) that coded only GTK feel that way when Nokia made the decision to go Qt?

Or didn't folks feel that way when MeeGo came out right after the release of the N900 and that meant no more deb but rpm?

The whole part of any transition surrounding Maemo and/or MeeGo was that the devices and the programming platforms were always changing - well, something was always changing. Maemo started and stopped so many times that we just got used to it.

This community has plenty of legs on the N900. I just hope it doesn't dry up so fast like it did on the N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
While I agree; it smacks me in the face that Nokia didn't cultivate this community to the point of where it was pushed to the forefront and all associated products - Maemo 5, N900, MeeGo-Harmattan, MeeGo w/ Nokia UX - were not fleshed out fully.

There was time. 770 came out when? N900 came out when? MeeGo was announced when?

And yet, from the N900 to now, nothing came. The PR updates were delayed. And the OS didn't get the push that we knew it should have.

I have a problem with that. It smacks of bad management no matter how you cut it. Bad, pre-Elop management.

And if it means the end of this community - which I have to somewhat doubt since there is a community SSU - then really... who do you truly blame?

The new head or the old head(s)?

I'm looking back to the past decisions for blame. They killed off what could have been great by not putting anything out that showed that greatness off. We knew it. They just needed to find a way to make others know it.

And they didn't. I find way too many faults in that. Nokia didn't capitalize from the 770 to MeeGo.
I couldn't agree more. As I said on another thread today, it's a mystery to me how they made so little progress. What was so hard?

So blame there precedes Elop. What Elop did was eliminate hope. Hence the commencement of grieving.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Just stop buying Nokia, stop advicing Nokia to friends and relatives
Yes, there is zero chance I would recommend or buy a Nokia product now.

But I am still extremely saddened for open source (including Qt).

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
I couldn't agree more. As I said on another thread today, it's a mystery to me how they made so little progress. What was so hard?

So blame there precedes Elop. What Elop did was eliminate hope. Hence the commencement of grieving.
Each time I asked why it was so delayed, I got trash thrown at me and labeled an infidel or something for not just "believing" and instead, questioning.

I seriously cannot fathom why somebody would have made an announcement like the MeeGo announcement in February of 2010, and here it is a year later, we have nothing still to show for it. What really happened?

In another thread, 300 million was pushed into Maemo/MeeGo. What came out of that? A half-baked UI and no apps? Or did it go into cultivating the OEM stuff? If it's the later, they got BMW, GM and (ugh, I'm getting old) somebody else already signed up.

But that's not the UI for handsets. And that should have been further along.

So I agree with your earlier sentiment fully. What happened? Why was it so hard? What's left to do?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What happened? Why was it so hard? What's left to do?

I don't know, but for 300 million I'll finish it.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
They should all look to Psion - they produced what became Symbian from scratch in an incredibly short amount of time, and got it stable enough to put it out the door. Nokia should be able to do that, it has masses more developers, engineers etc.
The problem is probably too many middle-managers, all wanting to put their little stamp on it, and no clear leadership. Designs get watered down, leading edge is considered risky and therefore dropped etc.
One person should have been tasked to create a device. He has teams that do the work and report to him. He decides what is right and wrong and leads the project. If the device is successful, he leads better spec devices and goes up the ladder. If not successful, he is given another chance before being pushed down the ladder. Everyone gets to their equilibrium eventually and Nokia will get a lot of successful devices and the duds will mostly be at the lower end where it doesn't matter as much.
Simples.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I don't know, but for 300 million I'll finish it.
That money was already spent.

I wonder how much did BeOS cost to develop.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Reading all this looking at Active Topics on the right hand side and... enough for today. I am not even sure where to share my thoughts.

That news just left all of us in a little shock today I suppose.
The only good thing happened to Nokia is this community. And they don't giving a **** about that. Hope this community of developers especially involved in Maemo/MeeGoo will continue their effort and hope to bring some wind of changes in the future. But for time being we are all screwed by economy... as always.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
"What I'm trying to say is, if there is nowhere else to go....will the community stick with what they know?"

I don't think so. There was a future-oriented aspect that no longer seems pertinent. Developers will want to feel like they're catching the next wave, or at least staying current. I'm not a developer; and I haven't progressed beyond the N8x0 series. Maemo got as far as step X-1 of a promised X steps to a polished consumer device. I was waiting for such a device. It apparently won't be from Nokia, and I won't be here much or at all anymore. Most others will move on, too.
Yeah, I can understand that. The thing with the Developers staying current hadn't occurred to me. I guess those brainboxes always want to stay on top of the latest thing. For some, it's their livelihoods I suppose.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-02-12 at 00:10.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by devu View Post
Reading all this looking at Active Topics on the right hand side and... enough for today. I am not even sure where to share my thoughts.

That news just left all of us in a little shock today I suppose.
The only good thing happened to Nokia is this community. And they don't giving a **** about that. Hope this community of developers especially involved in Maemo/MeeGoo will continue their effort and hope to bring some wind of changes in the future. But for time being we are all screwed by economy... as always.
Chin up, it'll be alright on tha night.

As long as you're still breathing, thats the main thing ;-) ;-)

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining