Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Why google maps? What's so great about google maps?
..it works.
Ovi maps on N900 was a)slow b)had the most dire search function I have ever used c) google maps has an amazing directory/database/user generated info d) google maps looks better

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Paused the video where you see multiple windows open and if you notice the user swipes his hand to the right of the screen and they come up. This reminds me of how microB behaves. So that screen isn't the multi tasking window but perhaps the different browser windows open?

A little disappointed that we couldn't see multi tasking being demonstrated.

Only thing i can see similar to Symbian are the icons? Or do the icons make the UI? Harmattan UI and Symbian where meant to live together so it's not much of a surprise that the icons are very similar and to some of us who listen certain rumor sources like bible, almost known. ;D
So far looking better than i expected honestly. That multitasking looks perfect imo and that you bring it by swiping from left to right.

Just holding my breath for certain specs like HDMI out etc.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-05-17 at 19:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Heavens above, imagine someone sees you using this in the street and asks you if its Symbian! Nightmare! :S
People ask me that when I'm using my N900, don't see your point, those that care know, those that don't (normal people) don't care and are just trying to sound clever, or get a closer look at the latest shiny.

P1, "Oooo, is that the new Nokia" ...
ME, "No, it's the same one I've had for well over a year that you've seen me use pretty much daily." (My N900)

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Why google maps? What's so great about google maps?
It works.. 99% of the time it finds places I search for. And its blazing fast (UI and response). Its the shiny example of an app done right

OVI Maps is only good for offline maps, god help me if I need to 'find a business' with it (and I'm talking about inside Manhattan for god sake!)

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Who is going to the MeeGo conference? you might need a empty Pocket that's all I'm saying

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
It works.. 99% of the time it finds places I search for. And its blazing fast (UI and response). Its the shiny example of an app done right

OVI Maps is only good for offline maps, god help me if I need to 'find a business' with it (and I'm talking about inside Manhattan for god sake!)
On N900 sure, but Ovi Maps 3 on Symbian is far better. My fiancee has the N8 and she put google maps on there but never uses it, prefers Ovi - and she's someone who uses google maps all the time on the iphone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Well icons is the only thing we've seen so I can't really comment on whether icons make the UI in this case.

But like I said, I think I had reason to believe we'd be moving away from widget filled desktops and iconlists of apps. These are not the entire UI, but I do feel it tells us something about the way the UI functions overall. In WP7 they thought of something new in place of this two-part UI (desktop & icon list). I thought this was going to be something radically different. Maybe I just took Ahtisaari too seriously. :F

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
To me it looks like the phone you will see in this Real Steel movie official trailer. Launch with the movie maybe ??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8a1...layer_embedded
pause at 0:15

-edit-
Compare menubar icons:

N9 Teaser:
http://nokiagadgets.com/?p=916
Real Steel movie trailer:
http://mynokiablog.com/2011/05/12/fu...reen-nokia-n9/

Last edited by Donc; 2011-05-17 at 19:34.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Someone get google maps on that thing!
Firefox can do it.

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland