Poll: Will Meego progress boost up with this step
Poll Options
Will Meego progress boost up with this step

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United Arab Emirates
Nokia appoints new head of MeeGo efforts.
When Nokia announced its new strategy on February 11th, it also announced that Alberto Torres, the head of Nokia’s MeeGo Computers, would leave the company. I thought you would want to know that Sebastian Nyström has now been appointed to head the MeeGo team at Nokia. Sebastian has been leading Qt at Nokia, making the framework available under open source, free-of-charge LGPL license and now he takes responsibility for our future MeeGo efforts.

I know some of you are going to say, why bother? Well Sebastian has been laying out the responsibilities of his role as he sees them, which I wanted to share. In a note to Nokia employees, Sebastian defined his role as:

1. Launching a product from our MeeGo program later this year. We believe our upcoming device will have unique appeal to the style-conscious, connected enthusiast.
2. Keeping Nokia on track to deliver necessary software updates following launch of the product.
3. Working with the Linux Foundation, Intel and the wider community to plan Nokia’s future involvement in meego.com.

I know there was great disappointment in the MeeGo community, at Nokia’s decision. Many of us have gone through an emotional journey ourselves. I’m personally happy to see Sebastian helping us to complete the evolution of our previous Maemo and now MeeGo efforts to an exciting product. You will see more of Sebastian in the coming weeks when we are preparing our participation in the MeeGo Conference in San Francisco.

What you Expect?

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Scandinavia
what do i expect?

SO MUCH WIN!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to videohese For This Useful Post:
Posts: 159 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Romania, Cluj-Napoca
It seems to me, more and more, even though Nokia is not saying anything (and could not be, it would be kind of stupid), they're maiking plans for a Plan B, if the current Plan A, fails.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geojoking For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by geojoking View Post
It seems to me, more and more, even though Nokia is not saying anything (and could not be, it would be kind of stupid), they're maiking plans for a Plan B, if the current Plan A, fails.
Then I really hope plan A fails like hell!

Not even the stockholders seems too like the 11 february and Elop f*cked up strategy! Atleast not in european!

And many Meego devs inside Nokia is dissapointed and has or will leave the Nokia ship.

Only winner on plan A is Microsoft so I hope it will fail

Good too see that Nokia officially now support Meego on N900 for developers :-)

Perhaps Plan A) was actually to get Nokia employee's attention

"No more F'ing about, Symbian cannot compete and its time to take out the trash. We're serious"

Symbian: 5,000 engineers and 1.4 billion USD for a UI makeover that looks mostly similiar to the prior release... yeah, time to take out the trash...

"Symbian-related research costs for Nokia reached about $1.4 billion last year, with more than a third of its 17,200 R&D workforce assigned to the operating system, according to Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Apple spent $772 million on the iPhone in 2010, when it introduced the iPhone 4, according to the broker."....

http://gulfnews.com/business/technol...udget-1.762187

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ayazpak View Post

1. Launching a product from our MeeGo program later this year. We believe our upcoming device will have unique appeal to the style-conscious, connected enthusiast.

What you Expect?
Well, to me this sounds like there will be a tablet rather than a smart phone / mobile computer device...

Just hope I am wrong and we will see a N900 successor that kicks ***...

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
If only Nokia pushes out MeeGO device at low price then I can see people will adopt it and it will becoming a hit.

Take Sony PS3 for an example, at launch it loss more than $50USD on each console, but yet the console still a hit and they are milking now.

If the company like Nokia would risk losing some cash but in the long run pushing out MeeGo to the OS market then I can see a future with the OS and plenty of attractions.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My impression is that Nokia will NOT speed things up with regard to MeeGo, because that's not the way Nokia does things.

However, efforts from developers on this site may WELL speed up, so there's hope from that point of view.

As I pointed out more than a year ago, reorganization always slows things down while people learn what the new orders are and how to follow them.

If I decide to go with MeeGo in the future, Nokia is the last place I'll look.

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Take Sony PS3 for an example, at launch it loss more than $50USD on each console, but yet the console still a hit and they are milking now.
That's a pretty poor comparison; The PS3 has been available for over 4 years now. 4 years ago, Nokia's flagship phone at the time was the N73 or something. Can you imagine people today being amped to pick up an N73?

Not only do consoles have a far greater lifespan overall, but this generation looks to be one that will last longer than previous ones have (There's a good reason for that, but this is not the place to discuss it). Sony could take the hit to begin with because they knew that over time their manufacturing costs would decrease. Nokia have no such luxuries, and neither do any other phone OEMs.

Meego needs Dalvik VM to succeed and lure developers and users from the Android-ecosystem.
There is over 200 000 applications (ok, installable objects) in Android Market, and thousands of Java/Android-developers. But there is also many Android-developers and users who much rather would use real Linux-system if they could get their apps to follow with to Meego.

Last edited by zimon; 2011-03-08 at 22:49. Reason: themes, backgrounds, images, videos and so on are not all apps, but still.