Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Hi folks!

I wanted to start a thread where N900 users can provide reports of durability.

This one has survived two falls onto concrete/marble, one from 100cm and another from about 130cm. Not a scratch! However the USB/charger header has about 2cm of lever-arm on the usb socket, which can rip socket connectors off board. Be *careful* not to trip over that cable.

Hope to see some tales of glorious survival and bitter defeat here

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
given the nasty cost of the n900 (it is worth it, but its still a lot of cash) i bought the armour and screen protector eiffel recommended.
but before it arrived i was walking in the park and took a photo of my daughters, one of them snatched it off me and it fell about 1m onto the tarmac road!
there was a tiny dent and scratch on one corner, other than that it was undamaged thankfully.
the next day the armour and screen protector arrived!
seems a very sturdy device to me

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
Mine has been pampered, and stays in a Nutshell leather case when I'm not using it, but while in Santa Clara one of the more marketing type Nokia guys had a habit of dropping/throwing his n900 down to the table whenever he was done doing something with it.

Somewhat unsettling, but did not notice any issues/scratches resulting from this form of a stress test/demonstration, not that I'd recommend trying it at home however.

From the disassembly video's I've seen the device seems quite sturdy aside from two potential weak spots:

Kickstand feels very flimsy, espescially when compared to the stability/utility of the 810's kickstand (I really like sliding the 810's kickstand over my hand, and the tablet just sits there nice and comfy).

The usb charger port, only because it's so easy to be snagged from a cable incident. From what I understand though, an increase in durability/longevity is the primary motivation behind using usb micro vs the more common usb mini form factor.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Hehe i almost did 'a Texrat' - booted mine from my bedside cabinet across the room as i yanked the charging cable....

Wow that baby flies well! - landed in my laundry basket - bit of a klunk as it knocked against a radiator - but survived safe and sound

which armour did eiffel recommend?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REMFwhoopitydo For This Useful Post:
I had a horrible moment when the alarm went off for work... I also leave my phone far enough away from my bed so that I actually have to get up to turn the alarm off. I decided to lean out of bed, grabbed the cable but yanked too hard...not sure what happened after this, but the phone (still plugged in) flew across the room, smashed in to my acoustic guitar making an interesting non-musical sound and smacked in to the floor... cable still in, no problems with anything

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Mine dropped from my unlatched belt clip and slide about 5 feet on concrete. Same day while painting at work I got epoxy paint on the screen protector and the back of the phone. All is good with it though.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post
which armour did eiffel recommend?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=367

The Following User Says Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany

Tags
durability, hardware, n900, user reports