I will do some further testing when I return back to town, I have just the phone with me, I'm on a trip for 3-5 days.

The Following User Says Thank You to WorldKaoss For This Useful Post:
I suppose the script will 'turn-on/enable' PAN on N900 but is there also a script to 'turn-off/disable' after using?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by spectral View Post
I suppose the script will 'turn-on/enable' PAN on N900 but is there also a script to 'turn-off/disable' after using?
Actually you don't need to disable PAN. PAN doesn't really impose extra load over bluetooth usage. When you walk away from PAN's coverage, it'll disconnect automatically (actually this is annoying XD)

I didn't add the part to disable PAN because I reckon people would still want to use bluetooth (e.g. headset) even when they don't need PAN (Like I usually do).

If you really want to save battery, you can simple turn off bluetooth entirely by using bluezwitch I recommended in paragraph 3.5 of the instructions on the first page.

Let me know if you've further query. ^^

can i use my broadband pc internet via bluetooth or usb cable on n900?

Originally Posted by Red X View Post
can i use my broadband pc internet via bluetooth or usb cable on n900?
Actually it's even more easy to accomplish. All you've to do is to make it works the other way round.

First you should make your Windows sharing internet. I can't give you procedures on this, as different version of Windows has different setup. You must consult Windows experts on this. Of course, it'd be much easier if your PC is running Linux.

Second, you need to pair up the PAN such that the N900 and PC is within the same PAN. It's like your PC and N900 is in the same LAN. i.e. follow the procedures up to section 4.2.

After you established the PAN, you must setup the IP of your PC as followed:

Code:
IP: 192.168.1.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
and your N900: (INSTALL rootsh before running the following scripts)
Code:
root
ifconfig bnep0 down
ifconfig bnep0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
You can ping 192.168.1.1 from your PC or ping 192.168.1.2 from your N900 to check if the network is setup properly.

Now you must setup the default route. All intranet and internet traffic will go thru the default, therefore you must make sure no other default exist.

In your N900:
Code:
root
route add default gw 192.168.1.2 bnep0
Note now that N900 is pointing the default gateway to your PC (192.168.1.2).

Finally, you can't browse web without DNS:

Code:
root
echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 >> /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver 8.8.4.4 >> /etc/resolv.conf
The above example is to setup your DNS with Google's public DNS, you can replace them with the DNS of your own ISP. YOU ONLY NEED TO DO IT ONCE.

I'm in a rush, may be you'd have question with the procedure above. Nevertheless feedback and I'll help you .

Last edited by 9000; 2010-10-11 at 13:48.

Hi, I'm very new to the N900 - loving the device so far.
Just posting to enquire whether this is still the "preferred" solution to setting up the N900 as a pan server?

It seems a bit clunky to me.

Also, where the heck can I get the pc-connectivity suite from?
It doesn't seem to be in any of the pre-configured repositories?

Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
Hi, I'm very new to the N900 - loving the device so far.
Just posting to enquire whether this is still the "preferred" solution to setting up the N900 as a pan server?

It seems a bit clunky to me.
You mean...there's other way to setup Bluetooth PAN hotspot now?

Also, where the heck can I get the pc-connectivity suite from?
It doesn't seem to be in any of the pre-configured repositories?
I don't think you can find pc-connectivity in any repository, but you could probably find pc-connectivity-manager in the repositories.

There seems to be an awful lot of contradictory posts about setting up the phone as a PAN server. I read your post, but then I saw this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles

I have removed "network" from the list of disabled plugins and my Macbook now sees the phone supports the PAN service. However its not picking up an IP address (it auto-configures itself from the 169 range) and bnep0 on the phone has no address bound.

I wonder if I need to manually configure IP on each side and mess around with iptables to get routing happening.

Either way this is one feature that worked a lot better on my ancient Sony Ericsson W595!

Originally Posted by HRH_H_Crab View Post
There seems to be an awful lot of contradictory posts about setting up the phone as a PAN server. I read your post, but then I saw this:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles

I have removed "network" from the list of disabled plugins and my Macbook now sees the phone supports the PAN service. However its not picking up an IP address (it auto-configures itself from the 169 range) and bnep0 on the phone has no address bound.

I wonder if I need to manually configure IP on each side and mess around with iptables to get routing happening.

Either way this is one feature that worked a lot better on my ancient Sony Ericsson W595!
Regarding the wiki you mentioned, I don't think you can find maemo-pan in N900's repositories....yet.

The article I wrote and the script I posted is exactly telling you how to establish PAN by manually configuring IP on both side. The iptables is just there to establish Internet sharing thingy. I could have packaged it but since I don't think there are too many people using PAN anyway....so...

As a matter of fact you're one of the very few people who are actually interested in PAN. Yep, N900 is awesome, but so far not much people would really appreciate its power. Bluetooth PAN is in fact perfect for tethering for N900, due to its extremely low power consumption.

Enjoy.

Last edited by 9000; 2010-11-11 at 17:07.

The wiki doesn't actually mention anything about maemo-pan.
It just says if you remove "network" from the disabled plugins list in the bluetooth main.conf then PAN will work.

I'm going to install iptables and use your script and manually configure the network on both sides and see where that gets me.

Changing the subject totally, I lived in HK from 1977 until the early '90s!

Awesome place!

Tags
bluetooth-pan, tethering