Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
If you absolutely have to run Palm apps, get a Palm. Are those books not available in any other format? FBReader uses Palm Plucker format easily, and if you can find it in almost any format there should be a Linux app that can open it.
oh i'd love to but problem is the TX has a touchscreen bug, the centro is not available in our country, i despise pocket pc and i also need the N800 to browse my decompressed chm files (large ebooks). it's an all in one device for me. have any of you guys successfully installed 10+ apps and large pdb files on the new version?

edit: by the way, skyscape applications are unlike isilo books. they are interconnected via a searchable database and have extensive intertwined links. there is nothing else like them on any other platform.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Just realized that I was posting in the wrong thread. Stupid brain.

Anyway, reading through all of these posts, it seems like Bunanson, Pushwall, Burmashave and Dfinch are the only ones getting good results on their end.

So pop quiz, how can I install something that has all of this junk on my computer?

As you can see it has .dat, .lng, .dll, .txt, configuration and bitmap files.

If I Hotsync, after installing the program on my computer, it just gives me some fluffy message about not getting any errors and to run Hotsync again, so I keep doing that but nothing every really happens. I keep receiving the same, unrelenting, happy message.

Nuts.

So to properly install such a program, do I need all of those weird little files mentioned above because there's no way to install them manually.

Or can I just manually install each and every .pdb and .prc file and be fine with that without the extra fluff?

Also, how can I set up a peer-to-peer (ad hoc) network between my N800 and my Windows that Burmashave suggested and will that even work in this case?

Well, moving on...

I noticed that Xkbd works perfect with Garnet.

Would anyone be interested in me making a special touchscreen keyboard just for this?

It's better than using the awkward one it comes with and Graffiti will eventually chew on your screen with the strokes you make on it.

If so, anyone care to rifle off some suggestions on what you would like for it to be?

For example:
More buttons vs. bigger buttons
One side only keyboard vs. using both sides
Preference towards Portrait fullscreen, Portrait, or Landscape fullscreen
Qwerty layout vs. alphabetical

Stuff like that.

I tried to see if Xkbd could perform complete common words as a shortcut way to cut down on typing, but unfortunately, it can only output one letter at a time.

Anyway, hope someone here read this and I'm looking forward to any kind of reply.

Cheers.

Heya Addison! When I install stuff like this into GVM I copy the PDB and PRC files over to my SD card, and then install one by one using Install on the GVM menu. Since you have read the threads on this, you probably know it's faster installing these if you first open the GVM emulator by launching a program and exiting out to the Palm menu screen in the emulator, and then clicking on the Home button and switching over to the main GVM menu and then do the install....just be careful not to launch any apps off the GVM menu while the emulator is running or you could wipe all your apps!

Another way I've gotten PDB and PRC files into GVM is by using FTP in Resco Explorer. I tried it and it worked with Beta 2 of GVM, but haven't tried it in this latest beta since I'm too lazy to set it up again.

As far as using XKBD with GVM....all the apps and games I use are mainly touchscreen (except for the registering). So unfortunately I have no suggestions.

Good luck with GVM. One major tip for GVM....be sure and backup the GVM storage file or you'll be cursing having to reinstall everything all over again. GVM works but it's still a bit fragile.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Pushwall's points are worth noting but I think he is assuming you have an application quick link (from which to exit to Garnet). If not then I think you are safe to simply launch Garnet and go straight to install. (Am I correct Pushwall?)

I think the key is.
a) Ensure every file that you would have avaialble to install on a real Palm device is in the same location (folder). Perhaps make a seperate folder for each app on your SD card.

b) Usually install prc first, then all the related pdb's next without trying the application untill all pdb's are installed.

I have no idea about the bitmaps, how or if they are loaded. I thought more or less everything was embedded in the prc (except database data). For safety keep everything together in the same folder on the SD card from which you install.

Let us know how you get on.

PS, install Filez. It is a great way to see what you do and don't have on your system. It's a free file manager for Palm. Almost everyone has it.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml

The Following User Says Thank You to dfinch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dfinch View Post
Pushwall's points are worth noting but I think he is assuming you have an application quick link (from which to exit to Garnet). If not then I think you are safe to simply launch Garnet and go straight to install. (Am I correct Pushwall?)
I guess I wasn't clear once I read back on what I said. What I meant was to first run Garnet, launch an installed Palm app from the Garnet menu, and then exit out of that Palm app to the Palm menu. So now you have both Garnet's menu screen and the Palm menu screen running. You now switch over to Garnet's menu screen using your tablet's home key and tapping on the icon for Garnet. You can now install your apps using the install button on Garnet's menu. With the Palm emulator running in the background, it makes installing apps so much faster.

I think the key is.
a) Ensure every file that you would have avaialble to install on a real Palm device is in the same location (folder). Perhaps make a seperate folder for each app on your SD card.

b) Usually install prc first, then all the related pdb's next without trying the application untill all pdb's are installed.
Very good points, Derek.

Good luck, Addison.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Pushwall , thanks for the clarification. I was not aware of this. Installs have been slow. I'll try this next time. Cheers!

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Yeah, made several attempts today using all of the suggestions you two made but I keep corrupting something in Garnet.

Nuts, and I was careful too. Backing up the entire 64 megs after every 2 or 3 .pdb files.

So I'll throw out an idea before I waste time on something that might not even work.

What about using a better emulator on my PC Desktop, install all of the junk through that and transfer that image on my N800?

Is it worth a shot?

I think at least the desktop emulator can properly Hotsync.

My guess is that because the gvm store is proprietory (sp?) it therefore will not work.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Yeah, made several attempts today using all of the suggestions you two made but I keep corrupting something in Garnet.

Nuts, and I was careful too. Backing up the entire 64 megs after every 2 or 3 .pdb files.
What happens before you corrupt the storage file? Are you installing a PRC or PDB file and it freezes up or does the wipeout occur while you're doing something else in Garnet? Just curious.

Last edited by Pushwall; 2009-03-14 at 14:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Are you exceeding the 64Mbytes?

Tags
garnet, palm