Active Topics

Notices

I've rebooted numerous times and have even restored the phone to a number of previous back ups. Still no notifications for calls or texts. Email notifications working fine.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled callnotify several times. With or without it I am sadly notification free. Extremely frustrating.

Last edited by Scullyno10; 2010-04-15 at 11:02.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Something I should have done long time ago, but better later than never, right?

CallNotify troubleshooting steps guide

Continue to the next step only if previous step succeeded

Step 1 - Does the software installs correctly?
If not, what error do you see during installation?

Step 2 - Go to Settings -> Extras -> CallNotify.
Can you see the app settings?
First, try this and check again.

Then, check for the existence of configuration file at:
/home/user/.config/CallNotify/Conf.txt

If the file exists and it still doesn't work, it's probably a dependency issue.
Try Checking for missing dependencies.
If the scripts doesn't run properly, post the error here.
If no errors occurs, try this method for running the file manually from x-term (file located at /usr/lib/hildon-desktop/CallNotify.py).
Also, you can try checking for python errors on N900 start up and post them here.

Step 3 - Check permissions for files (should look something like this).

Step 4 - Check for debug messages, as explained here, and post them.

Step 5 - Maybe you have a problem running a pythin desktop application. Try this to see if you can run these kind of apps properly.

If Step 5 failed, it means that you have a general problem running python desktop apps, make sure you have CallNotify with version greater than 0.0.9-1 - which contains the proper dependency for running python desktop apps.

Please post the step that failed here with any relevant output.

Thank you for helping me testing CallNotify!

Last edited by omeriko9; 2010-04-15 at 17:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omeriko9 For This Useful Post:
I had installed callnotify, but before using it, I uninstalled it.
Now when I try to reinstall, it get the error Installation file corrupted.

The app manager log show size mismatch on python-bluez_0.15-1.1

Other apps install without issue.

Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Thank you.

Last edited by Novurania; 2010-04-16 at 16:05.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Novurania View Post
I had installed callnotify, but before using it, I uninstalled it.
Now when I try to reinstall, it get the error Installation file corrupted.

The app manager log show size mismatch on python-bluez_0.15-1.1

Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Thank you.

It has nothing with Call Notify to do. They are updating the Autobuilder.. wait an hour and try again.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Bad timing. Thank you.

Omer, Thanks so much for this great app!
I have two questions - maybe I missed these on the long thread.
1/ Will call notify notify me about voicemail? (If not does anyone know where I can get such notification? My old motorola Razorv3 had a small icon about voicemail on the screen untill I checked).
2/ Will I got notice of missed calls when my phone was off or in tablet mode or in a place with no recption (I mean of course after I turn the phone back on)? In other words does the notification come from the phone itself having received the call or from the phone company (excuse me if this is a silly question).

Last edited by oved_etzot; 2010-05-03 at 07:52. Reason: clarification

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
Omer, Thanks so much for this great app!
I have two questions - maybe I missed these on the long thread.
1/ Will call notify notify me about voicemail? (If not does anyone know where I can get such notification? My old motorola Razorv3 had a small icon about voicemail on the screen untill I checked).
2/ Will I got notice of missed calls when my phone was off or in tablet mode or in a place with no recption (I mean of course after I turn the phone back on)? In other words does the notification come from the phone itself having received the call or from the phone company (excuse me if this is a silly question).
hi Oved-etzot, nice nickname

I think that the network notification for a new voice-mail message does not exists in GSM only CDMA, but I'm not sure as I don't have voice mail for years...

Anyway, CallNotify does not provide any network based notification, but using only the N900 framework to notify of missed call. To answer your second question - If the phone if off or is unavailable with no signal, the phone cannot know you had a missed call, and any way to know so must be implemented as a network service I believe. So CallNotify cannot know about these kind of missed calls as well, unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to omeriko9 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by omeriko9 View Post
hi Oved-etzot, nice nickname

I think that the network notification for a new voice-mail message does not exists in GSM only CDMA, but I'm not sure as I don't have voice mail for years...

Thanks.
About the voicemail icon- I used to have this with my carrier (Orange 054) that uses GSM - so I will check with them how to support this - if it's available.

Too bad about the other issue. I now turn off the phone frequently for meetings and classes.and have no way of knowing if I missed a call or got a message
I guess I will have to leave it on in a silent profile (or stop using voicemail).

Toda

The Following User Says Thank You to oved_etzot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
[QUOTE=omeriko9;646268I think that the network notification for a new voice-mail message does not exists in GSM only CDMA, but I'm not sure as I don't have voice mail for years...[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's supported by GSM, it just depends on the carrier, which is really annoying. In the UK, Orange sends voicemail alerts using this, but the other networks use an SMS. Sadly, all the providers here where I am in Luxembourg use SMS.

I just wish they would all use the voicemail alert as SMSes can be forgotten once you read them, plus it's handy that the alert stays on the screen until you have read all your messages to remind you.

When I used to have line 2 with Orange it would even show which line the message was on by filling in one side or the other of the symbol. For those that haven't seen this, on Nokia phones it's a small reel-to-reel tape symbol like you sometimes see on the 1 key of the dial-pad.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Taomyn View Post
Yes, it's supported by GSM, it just depends on the carrier,

For those that haven't seen this, on Nokia phones it's a small reel-to-reel tape symbol like you sometimes see on the 1 key of the dial-pad.
I wonder what it would take to have this supported on the n900 if the carrier does support this with other phones they sell? On other phones how is this handled? Is this "pushed" by the carrier or is it "pulled" by the phone, and how and when?
I bought my n900 from amazon - untied to a contract, and transferred my sim card from my old cheap phone. Given that the n900 isn't sold and supported by my phone carrier - what do I need to find out to see how to get such notification?
[I also don't know if you (Omer) would be interested in integrating such a feature]
Can anyone share experience with how voicemail is handled by the n900 on other carriers?