Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Since the N900 now has a cellular modem and it's an internet tablet, users are very likely to use a lot of bandwidth. It would be nice to have a small widget that displays your current amounts of transmitted and received data that can be placed anywhere on your Maemo 5 desktop. Some of us can't get those fancy unlimited data plans.

Because I'm such a great ASCII artist, here's how I imagine it.

Code:
+--------------------------+
| Cellular Data Connection |
| Transmitted:     45.43MB |
| Received:       443.92MB |
+--------------------------+
While yes, you can just look at a dialog box buried within the Control Panel to see the info needed, it's just much simpler this way.

Potential programmers/widget makers, you can retrieve the data for the phone's data connection through /proc/net/dev. The connection name whose data we are interested in is named phonet0 within /proc/net/dev and is accessible without root.

What do you guys think? Does it need anything? Is there something I forgot about? Anyone interested in helping make this a reality? It would probably take you only an afternoon.

Brainstorm Link: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...users_to_find/

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-09-24 at 23:10.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think its a great idea. Please implement!

Also, I want the homeIP widget in Maemo 5.

Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
if this was a brainstorm idea, and the problem was "hard to keep track of data transfer in cases where it costs by the byte", i would add another 'solution': create a possibility to get notifications when x, y, & z amount of bytes have been transferred.

that would have saved me nearly 500e this summer when roaming.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgar2 For This Useful Post:
Can we get a reset button (like an odometer trip A and B button?) so we can start counting at the beginning of our next billing cycle?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Great idea! I would also like to see it display the date of the last reset. Maybe even an option to automatically keep track of the consumption from the start of each day or month, since many data plans have daily or monthly limits.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Yes, a widget is a great idea, but even better if it's combined with a more full-featured app, with notifications, graphs of usage over time, and so on.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by jandmdickerson View Post
Can we get a reset button (like an odometer trip A and B button?) so we can start counting at the beginning of our next billing cycle?
That's a function I would be too worried I'd hit accidentally if it's just on the desktop... but it could be in the widget configuration as an option. Also, resetting the number is supported from the control panel.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Yes, a widget is a great idea, but even better if it's combined with a more full-featured app, with notifications, graphs of usage over time, and so on.
I can agree with you, but let's start with something smaller first and see how it goes from there. I'd much rather have this ready ASAP for release than have to wait for a full app to be written first.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
For OS2008 there is TrafficCounter applet. I find it quite nice.
It has reset buttons for both total and current session counters and at the moment checks the wifi and the bluetooth.

Maybe someone could help the developer find where to check for this info too?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Zerojay, please add this to the Brainstorm!

Tim

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Zerojay, please add this to the Brainstorm!

Tim
I wasn't sure if I should because it seems Brainstorm is more for overarching problems and solutions to them whereas this sort of thing is so small that any competent programmer - which I am not - can knock out in a night, easily.

But if you insist... adding it now.

See the first post in the thread for the link to Brainstorm.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-09-24 at 23:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
cellular, data, widget proposal