Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
There is an ongoing work to create a Maemo Brainstorm, a place where
  • Developers, community, users, etc. can suggest ideas to Nokia and to the developers
  • People can give thumps up and down to the ideas
  • People can comment the ideas and other comments

The documentation and work is being done around

http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Brainstorming_new_features (principles)
http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_brainstorm (tool)
Now there is even a first mockup.

A lot of progress has been done in the maemo.org April sprint, and more will come in May (sprint page coming soon here). You can watch the sprint page to follow the progress.

Your feedback and help is welcome in the maemo-community mailing list or here.

See also the previous related threads:

Last edited by qgil; 2009-05-07 at 15:54.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Based on experience following Nokia's N-Gage brainstorm (it's a commercial version called uservoice but practically the same thing) the most important goal is to have regular updates that really are regular updates.

The people running the brainstorm should try to agree a plausible interval (perhaps once a month) where there's time to investigate bugs and features so that a proper reply can be given to each suggestion.

The N-Gage uservoice site's big problem is that the updates just didn't come regularly, sometimes there would be updates and sometimes there would be months with no word from anyone.

So basically, a guaranteed update once a month is better than a not-so-guaranteed update once a week.

The other important thing is that the people doing the updates must have the ability to get official statements from the people in charge of whatever needs fixing or enhancing. If Nokia and others refuse to talk to the people updating the brainstorm, then the brainstorm will be useless.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
This is great.

Can this be the solution to this my request for this? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28764

I think it would work great, IF there were a section that the topics are only opened by council.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Ah, the mock-up looks pretty good, Quim. Is it actually being developed right now, though? Or is this only planned to be developed during the next sprint?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
It is being tested during the May Sprint. If all goes well, it may be deployed as well, but I'll bet it won't be until the June Sprint. (Just imho here.)

Tim

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-05-08 at 15:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
So basically, a guaranteed update once a month is better than a not-so-guaranteed update once a week.
I don't understand what you mean by "update". I would expect the Nokians to pay attention and react regularly on the most voted ideas and solutions, skimming a bit for good ideas through the rest. Then maybe an idea with zero comments and votes is basically ignored by the average product manager. This is why the voting is useful in this kind of tool.

The other important thing is that the people doing the updates must have the ability to get official statements from the people in charge of whatever needs fixing or enhancing. If Nokia and others refuse to talk to the people updating the brainstorm, then the brainstorm will be useless.
Definitely. This is one of the reasons why I haven't pushed too fast the development of the tool, since it was important to do the steps in sync with the teams, starting by my fellow product managers.

I am not following every thread on this forum closley, but my only concern with this, is the sign-on's

I assume that we are working towards single sign on using either an ITT or maemo account?

Otherwise, I am concerned that not enough people will have access to the voting buttons. In fact right now, its very confusing if you go to maemo and you are not logged in and you try to vote thumbs up or down on something, it just sends you to a blank page, with no explanation.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Maemo Brainstorm is a Midgard CMS component and will be perfectily integrated to maemo.org. Same login.

About the rest, please discuss it at Task:Single sign-on for maemo.org

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The Maemo Brainstorm is a Midgard CMS component and will be perfectily integrated to maemo.org. Same login.

About the rest, please discuss it at Task:Single sign-on for maemo.org
Will this be the same login as talk.maemo.org, is specifically what I am asking?

No, will be the same login as maemo.org

Then one day we will have single sign-on And The World Will Live As One.

What will come first, brainstorm or SSO - I don't think anybody knows yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo.org