Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
That is definitely wrong. The EU agreement on common charging specifically allows not using micro USB connector for charging if there is a good reason to do it. So all Nokia needed to do is use the micro USB connector for USB only and keep a standard 2mm for charging.

The fact that the N900 has no USB host support is one hundred percent due to Nokia decision.
Erm, yeah, because the EU hasn't mandated that manufacturers standardize on MicroUSB or anything like that.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
That is definitely wrong. The EU agreement on common charging specifically allows not using micro USB connector for charging if there is a good reason to do it. So all Nokia needed to do is use the micro USB connector for USB only and keep a standard 2mm for charging.

The fact that the N900 has no USB host support is one hundred percent due to Nokia decision.
Try re-reading the post you quoted.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Erm, yeah, because the EU hasn't mandated that manufacturers standardize on MicroUSB or anything like that.
Seriously, did you even read what I wrote? The EU has an MoU, which is not legally binding, and allows for using other charging methods if technically necessary (3.4, 4.2.3). It also allows, for example, for using Nokia 2mm charging connector and an adapter which is reverse of the adapter currently included with N900.

See here for the MoU:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newsr...1&request.id=0

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Seriously, did you even read what I wrote?
Today's nominee for best unintended irony.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Sure, there is certain amount of fanboism, but I wouldn't say that everybody saying anything negative about Maemo or Nokia gets attacked automaticly.

For example see this thread from yesterday:
Bye (for Now)
There's nothing in that thread by the OP that states anything "negative" about the N900 other than his own personal feelings.

Last I checked, he'd be a better indicator of what is best for him than this community.

Want an example of what I meant? Go here.

I simply answered to correct a slight wrong, incurred the wrath of fms. There's other times when somebody straightens out a falsehood about the competition... and what happens?

"You're a fanboy" or some other idiocy. It ain't necessary.

Pfft. If that's what it means to stay in this community, then to hell with it. I've seen much bigger communities collapse from cliques and cliches as such.

Still I think you make good point by pointing out fanboism. Negative trolling and fanboism can fuel each other and create even more noise to community. One of the reason why I think we need more selective but strict moderation, before the constructive people leave elsewhere.
Now this part... I think that's a good point. But at the moment, it's camp A vs. camp B. Which... is oddly divisive and totally unnecessary imho.

Tags
cars and radios, community, constructive criticism, critcism, criticizing criticism, critiquing critiques, maemo.org, maturity, on fanning trolls, on trolling fans, talk, talk.maemo.org