Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
As I have been negative and people at TMO do think I am troll what about this statement?

"This collaboration will eventually bring official Sailfish OS support to Sony Xperia devices."

https://blog.jolla.com/wrapping-up-mwc-2017-jolla/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
As I have been negative and people at TMO do think I am troll what about this statement?

"This collaboration will eventually bring official Sailfish OS support to Sony Xperia devices."

https://blog.jolla.com/wrapping-up-mwc-2017-jolla/
Whats wrong with that statement?

This post of yours is proof that you're still a troll

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Eventually... it may happen. It may not. It didn't happen today; so we hope that it will tomorrow.

When it does happen, it'll be a good thing. If it does not, then let's hope that somebody else delivers a viable option.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

I assume you're not a native speaker and I assume that in your language there's a word that's similar to "eventually", but means something different.

In German, for example, we have "eventuell". It means something along the lines of "it might happen, it might as well not happen". Because of this, generations of students have misunderstood English texts at school.

So maybe there's something in your language that keeps you from understanding the sentence?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I know you know the language pretty well. But I dont think you should read that line in its own context but rather in what jolla(and others) has said before and then didnt deliver on that.

So then it's 50-50 that it's happen and not happen then I know where I put my money.

So in English it will happen?
In German it might happen?
In jolla language it probobly won't happen?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
There are nuances to the word "eventually" in English which justify its existence along its synonyms.
However, in the sentence in question, its meaning is unambiguous: "eventually" = "finally"

Well, everything is "possoble" in Jolla language

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
In German, for example, we have "eventuell". It means something along the lines of "it might happen, it might as well not happen". Because of this, generations of students have misunderstood English texts at school.
"Eventuell/eventuellt" in Swedish also has the German meaning. That's a problem with closely related languages.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I know you know the language pretty well. But I dont think you should read that line in its own context but rather in what jolla(and others) has said before and then didnt deliver on that.

So then it's 50-50 that it's happen and not happen then I know where I put my money.

In German it might happen?
Don't know what you are talking about.

I have a nice OS
I have 2 Jolla 1
I have 1 Jolla Tablet
I have 1 Jolla Community device

So to bring it together, I got everything they promised me.

Of course there are some people which haven't got all of the things promised. But to be honest, I was very aware on every order I made, that there is a good chance not to get it.

If you want to achieve something special, that's just the way it is. If you want to get rich you have to risk something. If you want to get a special device you have to risk something. As long as I know the people do as much they can do, to get things done, I'm pleased. Not always lucky but pleased.

And Dave, if you have never made mistakes and never have failed, all my respect to you. But if not, I hope there weren't people around you, which always repeated every 5 minutes, how incompetent you are and that you still owe them something and you have cheated them.

Maybe something you should think about but eventually you won't do.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I assume you're not a native speaker and I assume that in your language there's a word that's similar to "eventually", but means something different.

So maybe there's something in your language that keeps you from understanding the sentence?
to add to the confusion, remember that most of Jolla's staff is not a native speaker either, so what is written here can either be a pure english usage of this word, or a mistaken one biased from their own native langage

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Apart from the wording.
You have to understand, Jolla is obviously announcing each and every lead they work out into an agreement with another partie just to have any kind of positive news but software updates.
To keep my heartrate in check: i sort Jolla marketing announcements into only 3 categories

1. We started to work with XYZ on 123
2. Actual release of 123 (hooray we are shipping)
3. Sadly, 123 did not work out due to ABC reasons.

I do not want to criticise the teasing and speculation inviting tactics to much, Jolla simply does what everyone thinks the market requires in terms of marketing.
I am not convinced this spiel is actually necessary.
But thats a bold thing to ask an try, maybe 100% pants down honesty only works for even smaller companys with much less investors money at stake.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, mwc 2017, sailfish os, sony xperia